Saturday, February 4, 2012

Sour Grapes


on and off the vine
sour grapes lead to bad " whine"
bitterness lingers
This post took a different turn than I had expected. Originally I was planning on posting about my love of wine and some pictures of Michigan vineyards I have visited, but...I got to thinking about the term sour grapes and people being bitter for one thing or another and how it relates to me. I seem to be surrounded by friends who come from large families- nuclear and extended. With the exception of a few friends- most have upwards of at least 3 or more siblings and parents who are still alive. Plus these friends have more than 2 children- creating large extended families- who tend to all live within the same area as each other- some within the same block. I think that is so cool. I don't have that. At all. Having lost both my parents to death and my only sibling- a sister- lost because of her betrayal and deceit towards me, (as well as her whole family; extended as well), aside from my immediate family, I am alone. None of my cousins live in my state or ever did, so I don't really have any real relationships with most of them at all. Mike's family is in the area and that is a good thing, but his extended family is kind of small as well. It is just strange how things like that work out, I guess. I try not to think about this too closely very often, but sometimes I can't help it- or the thoughts come out of nowhere and can take my breath away; I feel so gut-wrenchingly sad about it. My friends are great about sharing their families and I have many "sisters" and for that am truly blessed; but sometimes it's just not the same thing and I miss my sense of family. That's where the" sour grapes" feeling comes in for me. I try not to dwell on it too much but I know "they" are there just waiting to be picked if I so desire.
The prompt at OSI this week is " sour grapes"....check it out!

15 comments:

Keeper of the Crowes said...

Dear Patti, I hope you know that you have 9 stitching sisters who love and support you!!!! It's not the same, I know, but just wanted to remind you that we are always here for you!!!!
Linda

Geraldine said...

I know exactly how you feel Patti. When my mom passed on several years ago, I felt like an orphan, I still do. I miss having the support of so many family members who are already gone. Much too soon.

Sending a big hug your way, G

Laura said...

I can't think of anything wise to say. I understand completely what you are saying though. I have similar feelings about being childless. The good news is that we have each other and our stitching friends. I know you have tons of other friends too. Sometimes our family comes in all kinds of different people. Love you!

anthonynorth said...

Sometimes it is so hard to know what is the right thing to do.

SandyCarlson said...

I LOVE this!

Ron. said...

Family is hard. You make poetry look easy. Hang in there, like all good grapes must.

Joanne said...

You have blog friends, too! Sending along a high-five from New England as I sip my morning coffee ...

Debby said...

So sorry. It is hard when others have families. Sending some (((((HUGS))))

Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim said...

Hi Patti ~~ I am alone is sad. If I could I would share with some of my family.

When we lose a parent, the first one, I remember it like "I don't have a Mom anymore." Then when the other one is gone it is like you say, an orphan.

When our youngest daughter took her family to London that was hard. We were closer to her than any of the other four kids. But they would share. :)
..
Back to the verse, it is wonderful.
Yes, Sour grapes [do] lead to bad "whine".

But sometimes we just pain need to 'vent.'
..

Karin said...

First of all a BIG HUG!! I know and feel your pain. I am 'an orphan' too and it is very hard when both parents have passed away. I live far away from my sister as you know and let's not talk about the 'other family'. Do I know about betrayal but still it is not the same level as what has happened to you. You are a wonderful person and can be proud of the family you have at home. We are all here for you!!

Jeanie said...

I'm an "only" and like you, I am a tad envious of cousins and others who have their family close at hand and like each other so they see one another often. Tomorrow in Ohio, they are having movie night, and I think, I miss them!

I look forward to your wine posts -- to see what your take is!

Harshad Mehta said...

Patti, I know this feelings. I can relate well.
Yes, bitterness lingers.

Relyn Lawson said...

Hope all is well, friend. I miss you.

Carol Lee said...

Bitterness lingers if you yourself allows it. Why let it happen when one can wisely choose happiness.

wealth management