"The death of a mother is the first sorrow wept without her" (unknown)
This is the first week without my mom. After the wake, the funeral and all the obligatory stuff, the emptiness and the void set in. Now what? I've never not had a parent in my life and it feels weird. My sister and I are orphans. Well-meaning friends ask how I'm doing and I say "fine" but I really feel like I am not doing so well. How do you explain how you feel to not have someone in your life anymore that has been there for 47 years? I talked to my mom every day sometimes 2-3 times a day. It was often about stupid stuff like the weather or something funny the dogs did, but it was a connection. That is when it hits the most- when I think of something I want to tell her- and that is when I feel the most devastated. She's really not here anymore and it hurts... a lot. I miss her more than I ever thought I could.
Please, make sure you tell people you love them, give hugs, spend time, make connections, because we never know how long we have on this earth and it's the time we have and the things we do that count.
In memory of my mom, Barbara: May 1, 1929 - October 18, 2008
I love you...You will be in our hearts and remembered forever
7 comments:
I am so sorry for your loss.
Patti,
I had no idea. I am with you. I am sorry for your big loss. Mothers no matter what age are a big part of our lives. I truly am sorry for your loss Patti. If you need anything please let me know.
I will keep you in my prayers.
Sincerely,
Angelica Torrez
Patti,
I am so sorry for the loss of your Mom. I had no idea of the pain you must be going through. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you are surrounding by loving people at this time.
with love
laura duet
I am so sorry to hear of your mom's passing. In 2004, my mom had a massive stroke. She survived but is in a nursing home now. I know it's not the same as losing a parent but my relationship with my mom as I knew her is gone. We used to go to lunch and shopping every Saturday and church and breakfast on Sundays. I do get to see her everyday but I miss the way it used to be. I guess the only advice I can give is to talk about it with your sister. She's probably feeling the same way. I think you can still talk to your mom. I'm sure she's watching over you. You'll be in my thoughts.
You were very lucky to have been loved so deeply by your mother. I have never experienced that love from my mother-- now, as "a mother" I surely know how to love my child with every ounce of my being. I guess I learned from watching mothers & daughters like you and your mom. I am sorry for your loss...
~Cheryl
Patti,
I have been thinking about you. I hope you are doing okay.
Angelica
Oh, Patti. Oh.
I am so sorry. Silly, small words for the wealth of pain they are meant to sooth. I have no great wisdom to offer. I give you what I have. The only thing I have, really. I offer you my prayers.
May God bring you comfort and peace. May He pour out His joy like a balm for your sore heart. May He be with you and carry you through your sorrow.
I am praying.
Post a Comment