Sunday, April 11, 2010

Out of the Box?


her Life
had always been enough
so she thought,
to take a chance and a risk
was so unlike her~
but recently
she wondered
what it would be like
to do something so completely
out of the realm of her ordinary
and her comfort zone
to abandon the safety
of her carefully
orchestrated life
and it's mundane predictability~
she had never even
entertained the thought
of flirting with Temptation
until It showed up~
to take the lid off of the The Box,
tentatively open it
and venture one toe
out of it....
and after much contemplation
and deliberation
and reflection
she decided to leave
all ten toes in the box
where they belonged
and put the lid back on
a little tighter this time~
to try to be content
by living vicariously
through someone else's adventures
until Temptation showed up
to flirt with her again.


The prompt at OSI this week is vicarious. Please visit and see how others interpreted this prompt.

13 comments:

Joanne said...

This is a little sad to me. She put the lid back on, tighter. But it seems like she wanted to dance with temptation a little bit. I get the feeling, sometime when temptation returns, she might. Just a little.

spiritsoflena said...

Interesting poem. I like the rise and fall of emotion--like the poem itself is flirting with what might happen.

beth said...

beautiful....
and a bit sad, yet filled with such emotion.....

Loch Rob said...

Sometimes the biggest challenge is taking that first step. Such a warm and personal poem. Then there is the second step.....

Mojo said...

*rubbing chin*
Someone said once that change can never happen until the pain of change is lesser than the pain of staying the same.

Perhaps it just wasn't time yet.

Tammie Lee said...

I enjoyed your poem, she was so close to leaning into her dreams. It takes the magic inspiration to make us that that step.

Tumblewords: said...

I love how you work with the temptation - to and fro. Nice writing.

Amity said...

Nice poem...it's hard to resist the temptation, so it's better to seal it tight till the right time comes, then no more will it be temptation!

Anonymous said...

I feel sad for her, though. Maybe next time will be the one that makes her burst out.

Keke said...

Oh Patti, So provocative...your words stirs the echoes if not just a little in all of our souls, all of us at some point or another answering back to the voice that says 'risk it, life is too short, you know this isn't all there is, sticking our toes in the water only to pull them back out again and say not today'...You really should pull together if nothing more than a 'short' of your writing, the world is waiting to hear your voice...you give so much to others always, step away from safety, I would be your first customer... :) I just wanted to stop by and say thank you for the love you've been leaving and again was gifted... I've missed not hearing your voice and seeing your pics, I'm determined to stay upright and defy the nod... The comment Mojo left also stirred something deep... it's exactly where I'm at right now. I hope you are blessedly better than well!
XO Keke

Jim said...

This hits home, Patti. I hope that is what you wanted from this.
Most times now-a-days my box stays shut although opening it a tiny crack still sends my mind soaring.
..

SandyCarlson said...

Temptation has a way of doing that. I have a way of giving in. Without regret. I enjoyed your poem very much.

JUST ME said...

Patti,

This is beautiful, to be HONEST that is what I have been dealing with for the last year.

I am still in between the opening and the inside of the box.

The box wants to close up tight, but somehow it still remains open.

Angelica