Saturday, June 12, 2010

Oubliette

Once again the prompt, oubliette, over at One Single Impression has provided me with a learning experience of a new word. Below is the definiton. Please visit the OSI site to see how others creatively interpreted this prompt.

Dungeon only accessible by a trapdoor at the topen.wiktionary.org/wiki/oubliette

My heart has taken up residence
in the oubliette of my soul...
where the walls are dark
and thick with despair
and a poignant sadness reigns~
The door to this dungeon
has been shut tight and locked-
there seems to be no way out.
Even the trap door that opened
and led to happiness and light
for a such a brief time~
has been closed and locked-
possibly forever.
What am I to do?
Wallow and get caught up
in my despair...
or
focus on creating
a new trap door out
of my captivity
based on the happiness
and goodness
already in my life
and work my saddened, heavy
heart back toward the light
to reclaim my soul
and sense of self
that I know still exists.



Have a wonderful week and I appreciate all of the comments, as always!

11 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

The belief that there is a way out is the belief in life itself! Well done.

Amity said...

That's the best we can do Patti and surely we can never be trapped forever in such a dungeon of hopelessness and poignant sadness...:)

Beautiful poem Patti. Loved every bit of it!

Carina said...

A great turn around to what seemed to be hopelessness.

Sherri B. said...

This was lovely...we wrote about the same issue. Thank you for sharing your words!

Ramesh Sood said...

I think what I said on one of the postings.. we have created our world where we pursue same values and beliefs.. true.. your take on prompt confirms my feelings.. Thank you!

shraddha said...

i identify with it
big hugs

spiritsoflena said...

I like the element of hope in this poem.

Anonymous said...

U r the light.

Tumblewords: said...

To create a new trap door out of available goodness is a wonderful idea. I enjoyed this piece!

Jim said...

That new trap door sounds very doable, Patti. It is just the opposite of the one that entrapped the poet.
..

Harshad Mehta said...

I think it is always better to take a new path. Old ways lead to same old situation.

Have faced this. Thank you for putting it in words.