This spring I have totally rediscovered my love of bike riding. It's always been there- I've always had it...it's just been buried under a whole bunch of other more sedentary passions. But it's back and better than ever!
Growing up in the 70's without the inside lure of technology, biking was all I ever did. Got on my bike in the morning and got off again in the evening when it got dark. In between was filled with bike riding to friends' houses to pick them up or hang out, parks, DQ,and stores. Ahh the miles and the memories.... In high school I even participated in a week long 500 mile bike trip from Brown County Indiana to Bloomington Indiana via all kinds of state parks and country roads- camping out each night and riding hard during the day. Definitely not a Destination Vacation!
As soon as Molly was old enough, she started riding as well and we would set off on our bikes on the trail through our neighborhood and would do picnic lunches at parks and just drink in the outdoors. Knee problems complicated this as I got older, but recently with the whole 50 thing looming quickly, I decided to dust off the bike and try again...and I'm lovin' it!
At first, just re-starting going on the trail through my neighborhood was daunting, but with persistence it is getting easier and easier. I now am easily up to about 9 miles with absolutely no problem and do this about 5 times a week. Mike and Molly often go with me but I go by myself as well and sometimes meet up with friends and go with them. Where I used to stop- I now keep on going and try and get farther.I now am able to start at my house and town and ride almost 3 towns away! I am not the fastest rider, get passed often (especially by my daughter) and prefer the straighter trails, where Mike likes the hillier more rugged ones. I tend to meander riding at my pace and enjoying the scenery (prairie, forests, fields, flowers, birds...) sounds, and fragrances- even taking pictures while I ride. I love the feel of the sun on my face and wind in my hair as I ride- it is oddly soothing. I don't shift gears- I switch between 2 different bikes and each bike shifts differently and is confusing so I just leave it- preferring to dig in to get up the hills I do encounter- and I am getting up them! I also don't coast much, preferring to pedal, pedal, pedal.
Biking has become a huge metaphor for my life lately. I recently lost a friendship that was very special to me and between that and the end of school (which weirdly enough I always have difficulty adjusting to) and hormone hell; it all is a recipe for disaster. This friend once said to pedal faster and harder when I complained about anxiety and tension, but ...it isn't working- the feelings are all unfortunately still there and even intensified more than usual. But the principles of biking do apply here... not a lot of coasting right now- lots of pedaling...there are going to be hills; a huge one that I am facing right now- dig in and get to the top the best you can (waiting desperately for the shifting to occur naturally), -pause at the top and look around and savor the feeling of accomplishment of reaching it- and enjoy the ride down; it will be worth it!
9 comments:
How wonderful that you have trails close by to ride on. I'm a walker, and would love to go bike riding again, but wouldn't dare ride on the streets, which so many people do. Many happy trails to you this summer :)
Patti ~ what a fun post ~ I want to go for a ride. Great scenery. Thanks for sharing. Teresa aka Terry
I love this post. I have a bike and need to start riding again. As soon as I get the painter finished, that is today, I will be able to go for rides. I know the area that you bike. My sister bikes there too. I can't wait to get on my bike and go riding. What a inspiration you are. Enjoy the end of school; it will be back before we know it.
Wonderful post Patti! You will conquer all that is going on and you will be stronger for it. <>
Congrats on discovering the bike again and with your achievements.
See you soon!
Great exercise! Glad that you have wonderful trails to follow as you ride. With all the modern conveniences, we forget the thrill of being on a bike!
Patti,
hang in there... what a beautiful path maybe one day we can walk it together....
Hopefully soon we can get together it would be nice to talk to you face to face.
Your in my thoughts.
Angie Torrez
Patti
I am so proud of you logging all those miles!
Maybe someday I will join you!
Enjoy the sunshine and warm temps.....
I am glad you had a good time riding and are enjoying it. Thanks for taking the time to take these pictures.
Thank you for this wonderful post! Your description of childhood riding, metaphor for riding as a way to cope with life, and your pictures really hit home with me. I think I am going to dust off my bike. I think I will need a tire pumper upper first. I want to feel like a can do something physical without breathing like I just ran 300 miles! Hey, maybe we can even bike that trail sometime in September (shooting for cooler weather!)
Don't forget that there is stitching on Sunday!
love you lots
laura
Post a Comment