Sunday, June 27, 2010

Once again, OSI has challenged me for this week's prompt. The prompt is ochre. I don't like that word. I don't know why, but I don't. I think I remember it as being a crayon color- one that I never used or felt I had any use for. To double check what the word meant I did look it up and this is what I found:



adj : of a moderate orange-yellow color [syn: ocher] n 1: any of various earths containing silica and alumina and ferric oxide; used as a pigment [syn: ocher] 2: a moderate yellow-orange to orange color [syn: ocher]


Still not loving the word- I did struggle with the prompt this week. Here is my interpretation:


my life, once golden

temporarily lost shine

now is ochre hued



This past Wed. night the Chicago area got hit with some really nasty storms. Our neighoborhood actually had a tornado touch down in it. Our street was spared, but a block and a half over was one of the areas hardest hit. Power was out for a few days and one of my friends just got it back last night after 3 1/2 days without. It was the least destructive kind of tornado, but it was a confirmed one regardless. Luckily, no one was injured; there was some property damage, but the worst of all was the incredible loss of old, very mature trees. Part of our neighborhood's charm was the shady, tree lines streets- now which has been severly compromised. At least 50 of them are now gone- of course never to be replaced and lending a very different look to the surroundings.




















18 comments:

Joanne said...

Love your verse. It says so much with few words.

We had a tornado here in CT this week too. The fury of Mother Nature, they do so much damage in the span of a few minutes, it's really frightening. Hope the clean-up goes well there!

Sandra.if said...

you have depicted your emotion so well!

Dances With Loons said...

Well, consider your dislike of the word overcome! great, thanks.

Laura said...

Wow, you did well with the word ochre. and now I don't like that word either...never having to think about it previously.

The tree situation breaks my heart. Trees are so important. Hope they replant some saplings right away.

I will MISS YOU TODAY!!!

anthonynorth said...

That looked like quite a storm. you did a great job with the word.

Andree said...

Your poem is sad and nostalgic. Yet ochre is a rich pigment and you said "temporarily" so it will be golden again.

I'm sorry about your storms and glad all are OK. Those old trees always bear the brunt of the storms.

Tammie Lee said...

oh, how intense to experience a storm like that. And sadness for the loss of the trees, for sure. They look like there were extreme beauties. For not liking ochre, you created a wonderful poem.

Rita said...

The storms of life can discolor our lives at times, but the sun always shines in due time. I hate to hear the storms hit your area. Keep looking up, for the sun will shine again!

Jim said...

Hi Patti ~~ I felt the same way about burnt umber. Those two just colors weren't pretty and bright to kids, were they?
And don't we all lose our shine once in a while? You captured that happening wonderfully in so few words.
(((((HUGS))))) ! ! ! ! :)
..
I am glad you and your home were spared from the tornado.
..

SandyCarlson said...

I enjoyed that. Losing luster, gaining patina. Inevitable yet beautiful!

JUST ME said...

Patti,

I am glad that you and your family are okay. We got hit with the rain, but nothing else really happened. I did see the dark skies going towards the city and the south, but never thought that it was that big.

Glad your okay......

Angie

beth said...

wow....
the storm did you hit your area...

somehow, we were just fine....this time !

hugs to you, big ones, as i feel that you need them now more than ever, based on your writings of late...

Ramesh Sood said...

Well, it's temporary..and that's heartening. Good take on prompt..

Tumblewords: said...

Thankfully, no one was injured but the loss of trees is so painful. I've never liked the word 'ochre' either - it has a harsh and unpleasant sound. However, your words are a terrific response to the prompt.

Relyn Lawson said...

my life, once golden

temporarily lost shine

now is ochre hued


I love this, I do. But, it makes me sad, too. I am thinking of you, my friend. Thinking of you.

mlu said...

I had no idea your area was hit so hard!!! We had the high winds and rain but luckily we did not have any tree damage. I am so sorry~

one more believer said...

it is always enjoyable to read comments of other poets and what brought them to this place where a post enlightens us all who read... definitely enjoyed the read... curious how we react to certain things and retain that feeling like a weight or a caress.. i see a caressing ku that lingers in afterthought... so sorry to hear abt your neighborhood glad to hear no one was injured... as a lover of trees living in the inland northwest near the border of canada i love, love trees... i am sure there is something else in store that was once shaded and covered will come out into the open... glad to have stopped by..

Kathie Brown said...

I like the world ochre because it is so earthy but I did not write a poem like you! So sorry about the storms! Oh, those beautiful trees. I am glad no one was hurt but I do hope they replant. I know it will be a long time before they are that large again, but you would be amazed how much shade a young sapling can throw in just a few years!