Monday, January 17, 2011

Carnival Time!



all the lights, sounds, smells
send me back to my childhood
a welcome escape!

I loved the early summer when the carnival would come to our town. They would set up in the park behind the street across from us. We could see some of the rides from our front window- which my daughter (and myself) really loved! One day would just be a mish-mash of trucks and trailers and the next day the park would have been transformed into a sea of lights, activity, sounds, and smells! In fact, we would often pack a picnic lunch and walk over to the park with some of our friends and spend an entire afternoon watching them set up- the kids LOVED this! And once it opened... Ah- the odor of popcorn, and funnel cakes, and spiced nuts, and elephant ears....the sounds of the bells ringing when oversized prizes were won, music blaring, kids screaming with delighted fear from the rides, and the whir of the motors powering the rides...the sights of all the lights draped across the carnival area, the whirl of bright colors as the rides whipped by- and the people- I always enjoyed people watching at the Carnival; it was sometimes hard to tell who the workers were and who the Carnival goers were. Sadly, it was decided last year that for safety reasons it would no longer be held in that park- so the Carnival is no more; just the memories remain...

6 comments:

Laura said...

All I have to say is "Tilt-A-Whirls" are the best!!!

Rita said...

Ah memories. Even though they wont be there, there are still the memories! Carnival's are fun!

Jim said...

Aw, Patti, :)
You have made your carnival sound soooooo lovely and then abrubtly have taken it away. Now no more.

Never mind, you can come to Texas (my OSI post) and read about the fun my poet had at our carnival!
..
I love your pictures, they are nice, pink and soft, showing just the things little girls like.
..

SandyCarlson said...

I can relate to this!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

But memories are good enough to get the carnival spirit flowing in one's veins again, yes?

Carnival

Relyn Lawson said...

OH, I love a good carny!! Love it. I have been missing you, my friend.