
The trend as the New Year begins is to pick a word that will define "your" year. I struggled somewhat picking that word and actually tossed around quite a few before settling on the one I felt I could live with for a year and quite truthfully, this word kind of picked me. The word I chose was "embrace."
According to an online dictionary:
v.tr.
1. To clasp or hold close with the arms, usually as an expression of affection.
2.
a. To surround; enclose: We allowed the warm water to embrace us.
b. To twine around: a trellis that was embraced by vines.
3. To include as part of something broader.
4. To take up willingly or eagerly: embrace a social cause.
5. To avail oneself of: "I only regret, in my chilled age, certain occasions and possibilities I didn't embrace" (Henry James).
v.intr.
To join in an embrace.
n.
1. An act of holding close with the arms, usually as an expression of affection; a hug.
2. An enclosure or encirclement: caught in the jungle's embrace.
3. Eager acceptance: your embrace of Catholicism.
First of all, being a Grammar Girl- I love when a word does double duty as both a noun and a verb. I especially am fond of the definition number 2a (as a verb) and number 3 as a noun. Last year for me was a year of personal change and growth and yes- I have a long way to go and am definitely a "work in progress." This year with a milestone birthday fast approaching, I want to focus on embracing all facets of my world and personality and really living with "arms wide open" in eager acceptance in looking to really continue to experience Life!
8 comments:
What an inspiring word to embrace the year with! The vision of arms open in an embrace suggests so much about being open to life around us ... Happy New Year Patti :)
Oh that we can embrace life and enjoy it to the fullest, for it is like a vapor. I hope to embrace every experience this coming year and hope you do too!
i adore you and your word !!!
I enjoyed this. I like your word choice.
I am thinking mine will be "walk." Now to go look it up.
Thank you for you.
Here hoping the New Year will embrace you and surround you in magical moments, gracious acts, and many many blessings dear friend. Your word is perfect for you! Wishing you many Blessings ~ Katie
Patti,
This is a wonderful post
Here is to all the wonderful things that are coming your way this year.
Angie
An excellent choice. I embrace your wishes and goals for the year Patti and may all they come to pass as you hope. I hope my "word" was a bit of an inspiration to you too.
Hugs, G
www.veggiesyarnsandtails.wordpress.com
That's a perfect word, my friend. Perfect. I love your open-hearted approach to life.
Post a Comment