Saturday, July 30, 2011

"Uncomfortable"

On our trip to New England, our first stop was Pennsylvania. We dropped the girls off in Hershey at Hershey World Amusement Park, and Mike and I headed to Lancaster County to get a feel of Amish Country. One of the towns of Lancaster County we visited was Intercourse. It was a plethora of quilt shops and other little gift shops with many of the stores selling Amish goods and novelties. Many of the store employees were Amish and the experience, in my opinion, was that of a tourist attraction- similar to Nappanee and Shipshewana, Indiana which is about 2 hours from Chicago and our home.






















Once we exhausted looking around the little towns, Mike and I headed out into the back roads. THIS was the experience I was looking for! We literally meandered through the winding back roads amidst the rolling hills and farmland. What a beautiful area of the country! In contrast to what we saw in the town- this "back road" experience gave us a real glimpse into the REAL Amish community.








OSI's prompt this week is "uncomfortable." Here is my poem for the prompt...



At the intersection of Here and There
Two worlds collide
Here
we are the Outsiders, the Interlopers...
somewhat uncomfortable in our watching, and observing, (invading?)
the plain lifestyles of these people
wanting to catch a glimpse of a slice of their daily lives~
so drastically and dramatically different from our own...
hoping to better understand
and appreciate all we have seen There.

































div>

14 comments:

Ramesh Sood said...

Patti.. what a treat...WHAT A TREAT..WOW.. and what a poem.. beautifully expressed all that you got from the expressions around you..

Thanks.. I am here..

http://rameshsood.blogspot.com/2011/07/uncomfortable-confession.html

Harshad Mehta said...

Wonderful pictures.

Yes, outsiders observing keenly does make some uncomfortable. You caught that well.

anthonynorth said...

Excellent on all counts. They're an intriguing people.

Anonymous said...

I often wonder about their lifestyle...thanks for sharing!

Jim said...

The Amish people have chosen their way of living. Some members exploit this way of life to help earn their livings. For sure, Patti, they would want you to peek into their ways.
I like to visit their places in Iowa at the Amana Colony areas. Of course they eat exceedinly well. They also have a very fine golf course there in Iowa.
..

PremI said...

A wonderful tour of words and pictures...
Expressions captured well!

Keeper of the Crowes said...

Patti,
Wonderful pictures and insight. What a gift you have.
Linda

SandyCarlson said...

Thank you for stepping into my world and showing it to me in a new way. Can't even tell you how I feel reading your words and looking at your image. You draw me the home I want to run away from. Wow, wow, wow.

Relyn Lawson said...

I’ve been a blogging slacker lately. Jeffrey and Sloane were gone for two weeks and I found myself completely absorbed by house projects; an unintentional blog break. Now we're on a long, long road trip. We’re in Arizona now and I have a bit of time on the computer – finally! I was having withdrawls from being away from my blogger buddies so long, I tell you. I hope your summer continues to be as wonderful as it sounds here. Love to you.

Anonymous said...

very nice post!

Ragamuffin Gal said...

Wonderful photos Patti!
The quilts, the hats and bonnets, the baskets, all so fabulous! And those pies ~ oh my, yummy looking! Your poem was a perfect ending to a lovely post! Blessings my dear!

Karin said...

Patti, what a beautiful trip you made. Love the pictures!! it is all so peaceful.

gsb3 said...

Yes, at home and on stage all at the same time. It can't be a comfortable experience. And then to be the one who, like you said, invades, the situation makes one uncomfortable as well because one feels like the bad guy. Nice storytelling and poem.

Polka Dot Moon said...

I've been there :) Your lovely pictures took me right back to some wonderful memories.

Looks like you had a lovely time.
Denise