Saturday, February 20, 2010

Carving Out Some Fun!






Despite all my whining about February, it has been a very fun month! Last weekend, in between my Paperworkapalooza, Mike, Molly, and I managed to escape the dreariness of Illinois to take a quick day trip to the dreariness of Michigan! In between, was a side stop in very sunny Indiana. St Joseph, MI had their Ice Carving Festival going on and it was fascinating to watch the huge chunks of ice being sculpted and carved into works of art! The place was mobbed! The streets were blocked off, parking was at a premium, and we have never seen so many dressed up fashionable dogs, and people with cameras. With all that and the piped in music and snow flurries, it was like a scene out of the movie Groundhog Day. It was a lot of fun wandering around, visiting our favorite stores and looking at all the ice carvings and handpainted snowmen that were stationed around the downtown area. Seeing and visiting "my" beach and seeing the waves (break along the snow and ice covered shore) made me yearn even more for spring and summer which I know are just around the corner (right.).





















The weekend was capped off on Sunday night with a Surprise Birthday party for Mike at a local pizza place! He turned 50 on Superbowl Sunday, which we actually did celebrate at a party on that day, but I wanted to do something additionally for him. I think he was surprised and it was a great time! I wanted to recognize the other February Birthday Buddies too- so I got candles, flowers, and crowns for Jaine who turned 7, Bri, who turned 16 (on Mike's b-day) and Chrissy whose birthday was Feb.13. Lots of kids, adults, pizza, and cake- what better way to celebrate Valentine's Day!






10 comments:

Ragamuffin Gal said...

Happy Happy Post Patti! I am so glad to read about someone enjoying the winter instead of being down and depressed! And look at those happy faces at your birthday bash ~ isn't it so like you to spread the JOY! Blessings!

beth said...

there's ice sculpting downtown this weekend....but the hoards of people that show up, are making me want to stay away, even though my camera would have a blast....

happy birthday to your honey....

Laura said...

Wow! Those ice carvings and painted snowmen are so cool!!! Sounds like a picture perfect day! Great pics! See you later today! Yahoo!

SandyCarlson said...

Lots of fun here! Those are great winter images.

Rita said...

Sounds like you had a great time in spite of the cold wintery weather! Oh what fun to watch the ice sculpting! I know you had fun! Happy Winter!

Relyn Lawson said...

Hey, you. I just found your post at Jeffrelynews. Of course you are welcome there. I'm kind of excited because people seem to be discovering it in a tiny trickle. It's fun.

What a fun time you guys have had. Isn't it so important to carve out some pleasure in the February? I don't know about you, but I have a terrible case of the Februaries. BLAH!

So, to answer your questions. Yes, I do it every day. The post literally takes 3 or 4 minutes. We've been in a habit since Sloane could talk of listing something we are thankful for today. Now I just remember them and post.

As to the photographs, they take a bit longer. They are part of my 365 project. I find I can't get a picture every day, but so far it hasn't been hard to get them a few times a week, so I do them in batches to Flickr and post to my blog once a day. They don't always reflect our exact day, but do reflect what is generally going on in our lives.

I've been thinking about adding a little blip at the bottom about what we were up to that day. What do you think?

Michelle said...

Oh my gosh, Patti what an absolutely fabulous time!!! I love little trips like that. Those sculptures are amazing!! What a fun birtday too!! I'm so glad you have been enjoying everything despite that snowy weather of yours!

xoxo

Keke said...

Patti,

Oh I love all of it...I think AH and I are long ovedue to take a little vacation even if only a long weekend. Great pics! I hope your having a good week!

XO Keke

JUST ME said...

Patti,

Good morning to ya Patti,

Yes it's been a hell of a Feb and guess what I am seeing this morning by me MORE SNOW...... Love your pics.
Glad you had a great time. Happy Happy past b-day to your honey.

hope you having a good week.

I forgot to sneak in the utensils, the food was great and thank GOD they provided napkins.... we had a great time.

Ranae said...

Hi!
Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I live just outside Rockford.
I love Cathy's shop, The Inspired Needle, but it is a little drive for me.
We had an Ice Scuplting contest in Rockford, Jan. 23 they are just amazing. Lake Michegan sure looks cold, brrr!!!