Today's prompt at OSI is "gold." Please visit the site and see how other poets interpreted this prompt...you will love them, I am sure. Here is my haiku...
Dear February,
You win the "gold" for being
the worst month for me!
Let me explain. EVERY February is the same and in my world it is the most challenging of the months and often the "longest" even though it is really not. First of all, my Annual Reviews are usually in this month and that represents hours and hours of paperwork and prep time for meetings and high school scheduling. Throw in the Yearbook deadlines that always occur, and the school newspaper that we publish about now. The month is then topped off with getting ready for the Illinois state tests that my students are expected to pass (even though they are not anywhere near grade level, which is why they are with me in the first place)...no pressure there! There is usually a card swap with my friends, school Book Club, Mike's birthday, and various other social commitments. Molly is currently on 3 soccer teams (used to be 4 last month) so there is also always a game or 2 or 3. Needless to say, in Illinois, the weather gets in on the act as well and we go from no snow and balmy to major snow overnight...a couple of times during the month...which then I ALWAYS manage to get sick! So there you have it- why February is a challenge for me! With all the deadlines and stuff I have going, I really totally lose track of the days and end up thinking it's about a week ahead of where we are really...so in my world...it's looking like March is right around the corner!
The pictures below were taken out the side door and in the driveway on one of the mornings last week. It was really snowy for a couple of days (nothing like the East coast though) and then in true February style, it has gotten really cold. Knowing Illinois, it will rain next week.
Have a wonderful week!
15 comments:
I am SO with you. February drags on and on and on and will never end. Inside recess with 40 second graders in my classroom nearly puts me on medication. And then something sweet will come along and put the pep back in my step. Like that balloons flag. And your friendship.
ohhhh.....oopps.....my mind went straight to the first gold metal we won last night....
you would think I live with someone who works for the olympics or something silly like that :)
and february will be okay this year....I promise !
positive and interesting thoughts...thanks for sharing..!
very nicely versed.. :)
Looks like some Olympic amounts of snow there as you skate through an obstacle course of a month! You can do it, Patti, go for the gold :)
Happy Valentine's Day!
I couldn't agree more...February is my least favorite month of the year. We're in the thick of winter, I'm always freezing, and even though it's a short month, it seems to go on forever! I loved your snowy photos...the balloons made everything cheery along with the brightness of the snow.
your February does sound very busy. Wishing you a better March.
Patti,
It looks totally familiar to me. I don't mind February, but I understand why you do. I could use some glorious sun right now. I am so pale and lifeless looking. See you Tuesday I hope.
Jon Lee
I hope it gets better for you!
i am so so so over the snow...
i am counting days for it to be over SOON!!!!
It IS almost March, isn't it? I recognize those feelings.
I know all about dreaded annual reviews--luckily mine aren't until May!
hang in there Patti,
I have been dealing with health issues since the beginning of this year... been to the hospital twice in the last two weeks...last sunday and this past sunday.. both my boys sick and then again me sick again.
I am really looking forward to Spring. I am sorry that your FEB has been hectic.... I bet we are both looking forward to SPRING and calmer summer days....
love,
Angelica
Oh dear, your unlove letter to February make me think you will enjoy spring!
'unlove letter' !
a truly wonderful post
many thanks ..
Post a Comment