My stay at the Heartbreak Hotel may be nearing its end
I have stayed in all the different suites:
Heartache, Self-Doubt, and Unanswered Questions,
and I've started to pack to possibly go Home in the near future
but unfortunately,
I know a few friends
who may be checking in for an open-ended stay...
so a few "lessons" this "Teacher" has "learned" recently ...
The preponderance of advice is always so cliche-
"Things happen for a reason"
"You will get through this"
"You will be a better and stronger person because of this"
and I find myself doling out some of the same advice
that my well-meaning friends have given me
but
Bottom Line:
Heartbreak and Heartache stink
It's not fun
and no one ever signs up for this- ever!
Accept that things will get better-
you will not always feel this badly
but-
they may not get better for a long time
and that's ok...
In the meantime-
it hurts like hell.
These feelings have to be sat with,
intensely felt, and handled with care
for as long as it takes until you feel yourself again
and only YOU will know when that is.
You can cry, scream, curse, talk it through over and over again-
whatever it is that helps you get through this-
there is no right or wrong way to deal with this (unless you don't).
But every day, hour, minute out
gets you closer to the other side of it.
You think you are doing better and then out of the blue-
a reminder and back you go
(you may have to take some steps backward in order to move forward).
One thing for sure...
you will be changed because of this experience-
you can NOT do this alone (don't even try)
And you WILL heal in your own time -
in your own way-
And when you do -
when you finally pack it up
and raise the shades in your "room" to let the light back in
your Life will be outside waiting for you
to welcome you Back Home!
14 comments:
Patti,
Thank you for your posting on my blog. I will not be going to Inspired Needle tonight. I will be staying home with family. I read your poem. It is poignant. It has so much emotion. I hope you are feeling better. I have been thinking about you. I hope you enjoyed your week-end.
Hello Patti,
This is beautiful and amazing.. yes, we have to seek light from wherever it comes. Obstacles and problems come because somthing has been left to be learnt..God bless you for such a wonderful post.. it heals, yes!
what a beautiful message....
and to you my sweet....i'm sending those big hugs again and you can use them whenever you need them.
This is so true!!!! and so beautifully written! It soothes my soul.
Welcome Home!
I love the wisdom in this piece...knowing that we can overcome heartache is so important. I love the imagery of our lives waiting for us to return. Your words are both inspiring and truthful.
Patti, it was great catching up with you again tonight. What you are going through is like a grieving progress and there is no time limit on this. You have written a beautiful post and there will be that day you feel home again!!! <>
Yes, Yes, YES! I've been there and back. It does get better. You will heal. You will learn.
Such a great post and take on the prompt!
peace,
JP/deb
This is a wonderful post Patti!
I admire how you did it with patience bringing out the wonderful message, so soothing to one's tattered soul!
Patti, this may be my favorite piece ever. I know how strong you are, courageous, resilient, kind, sensative and amazing you are. Although sadness exists in each one of us, I see/hear your light shining through... And I love that about you!!!
Hi Patti, this is very well written (said here by the sow's ear to the silk purse of writing).
No, "it's not fun." I heard so many of those preponderating advisements during my travails. It was hard to even comment on them except to nod and weakly say something in the affirmative. [Sometimes my body still sobs or shudders when I inhaling deeply.]
Even so things did get better in ways I could not have dreamed of. We can adapt.
..
I loved the Elvis song. I loved them all!
..
a possible vacancy that is a wonderful title to this endearing poem, especially so the coming back...
So true. I too am done with the cliches and the advice from the folks who have never been there. I am finding silence is so much better, easier, kinder.
Been there, done it better, as my friend would say. We are nearing the exit from this hell, to be sure.
I hope you get back home soon, my friend. SOON!
Post a Comment