Thursday, November 20, 2008

Have You Heard?

I was driving to a friend's get together on Saturday and flipping through the radio stations when low and behold...there is already a station broadcasting Christmas music!!! On November 15 (and I don't think this was their first day either)!!! Now don't get me wrong- I am a Christmas music junkie and have a kazillion cds that I love to listen to (John Denver with and without the Muppets, Donny Osmond, Mannheim, Amy Grant, Chicago- yes they have a Christmas cd...), and I know people start decorating before Thanksgiving, and the stores with their Christmas promotions- don't even get me started. But for me, who loves Christmas music, I do get a little burned out on the same songs the radio plays constantly by about, oh, Dec. 10th.

Anyway- it got me thinking about my favorite Christmas music...ever! This music is "not your mama's Christmas carols." If Guitar Hero ever came out with a Christmas version this group would be IT! The group I am talking about is Trans Siberian Orchestra- or TSO to their fans. If you have never heard them , please take a minute to listen (see playlist on the right side of the blog). They are amazing! They only have a few Christmas cds out, and do other music too, but what a great alternative to traditional Christmas music. Don't get me wrong- they do have some wonderful slower type songs and some beautifully done acoustic carols, but the majority are rock twists on some carols as well as lots of their own songs and music.Unfortunately, usually the only song that gets played on the radio is "Christmas in Sarajevo." Many of their cds tell stories through the music and beautifully written lyrics from acoustic songs to gospel to canons to children's choirs... And did I mention the vocals? They are to die for! Deep men's voices that resonate to ethereal women's voices to the children's choirs; absolutely gorgeous! With songs like "Promises To Keep" and "First Snow," they are perfect to listen to before the actual Christmas season begins.

This is the third year in a row that we are going to see them in concert! Yes- they tour too!!! For Chicago- it's actually after the first of the year but it doesn't matter! In Chicago- it's at the Allstate Arena (or whatever it is now named) and they only do 2 shows- which are usually sold out- and that's it! This year, thanks to our friend John who went last year for the first time and became addicted, we have 3rd row center seats!!! Yea!!! The pictures below are from last year's show. The concerts are a rock fan's dream! There's light shows, pyrotechnics, light shows, special effects, light shows... They also have local musicians come and make up their orchestra- very cool. It is a show for all ages too-lots of kids in the audience. So if you are looking for something a little out of the ordinary to do around Christmas- this could be it!

If you have heard TSO, please let me know what you think! If you are new to TSO- I have created a playlist on the right of my blog- please listen and let me know what you think!




















2 comments:

JUST ME said...

Patti,

Thanks so much for always commenting on my blog. It means a lot to me that you come and visit and always leave me a message. I just want you to know that I appreciate it. I will need to listen to your play list as I am not familiar with TSO.

I just wanted to drop by and say hello and have a great weekend.

Peace to you!

Angelica

P.S. My favorite Christmas song is BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE! and yes it it tonight....

Relyn Lawson said...

My husband loves TSO. Me? Not so much. I'm glad you love them, though. Music is so important. Vital, really. My favorite Christmas song is "Oh Holy Night". My close runner up is "The Christmas Song" when Nat King Cole sings it.