Sunday, November 30, 2008

"I'm looking out my window at the softly falling snow

that dances in the early morning light

I got my guitar right before me,

strummin' a beautiful song

watching it a-comin' down,

all around on the fields

and the farms and the road to town"
(Partridge Family)




Actually, here in Chicago, in the last hour, it has really started snowing making looking out the window like looking out into a magical wonderland! My dad (a school principal) always said- it was a given that the lastday/ night of an extended winter break would usually guarantee a snowstorm.. and he's right. Although this is probably not a storm, we are supposed to get about 4 inches between today and tomorrow morning making anyone's travel plans tenuous. Right now, it is actually very cozy. The family left for a soccer game and I am still in my jammies with my 2nd mug of coffee (with peppermint mocha creamer-yum)- the caffeine is bound to kick in soon, a Christmas cd is playing and the snow is falling outside. My kind of day! As I contemplate going back to school tomorrow I think about all I did over break and I would have to say that for 5 days it was very enjoyable, for which I am grateful!

So when I'm asked tomorrow "How was your break?" and I answer "fine- it was good, how was yours?" this is what is behind that "fine- it was good" answer...

~ a delicious and bittersweet Thanksgiving meal cooked by Mike and shared with my sister and her family during a very lovely evening ( Kylies's "ugly dumplings "- a new tradition?)

~missing my mom terribly

~a very rare, cozy, night with just Molly and Mike watching movies and playing wii,

~hours of laughing, stories, a few rounds of cards and lots of snacks with a special group of friends into the wee hours of Wed. morning

~ a night out with the girls Fri. night to Chicago for dinner (yum!!) and a show all while traveling in style via limo to celebrate a new friend from England's visit!

~ time spent with a dear childhood friend from Minnesota at Starbucks catching up on our lives

~ putting up Christmas decorations (3/4 done!) and holiday-izing the house. I adore getting lost in the memories of the decorations

~re-connecting with a few new and old friends on Facebook (I love Facebook for that)

~watching with Molly, a Chicago special on old shows on tv when I was little, and laughing hysterically with her about the cheesiness of them (anyone out there remember Frazier Thomas or Ray Raynor?)

~ decorating my blog for the holidays (banner courtesy of the picture Molly took in Macy's in Chicago last year)

~ visiting favorite blogging sites and finding out I won a contest!!!

~ just having some of that all-important down time before the weeks get amped up with all the holiday "obligations"



Yes, grateful is what I am, oh yes I am...



What's behind your answer to "How was your Thanksgiving weekend?"









6 comments:

Relyn Lawson said...

First, I love your festive new banner. Happy holidays, indeed.

Second, I am so sorry I did not make it over here on Thanksgiving to wish you joy, even in the sorrow. Please know that I was thinking of you. I know you missed your precious Mama. I also know that no words of mine will make it better. Just know that I am thinking of you. Much love. ~ Relyn

beth said...

it's snowing here, too....the first real snow this season !!

and I'm glad that I helped make your day a little brighter !!!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I don't know what happened but my post didn't go through....anyway, love your banner, it's stunning. I love snow too! We have only had a dusting, I am waiting for the big one to hit! My parents live in Illinois and they had 7.5", I'm jealous...Isn't the peppermint mocha creamer the best!! Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a kind comment. Stop back anytime.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Laura said...

Your blog looks so gorgeous!!!!! and I love, love, love the Partridge Family song feature!!!

Hey, can you please email me your address????? My email is duetabode
@comcast.net.

Why you might ask?? Well, I want to lessen your Christmas Wish List by one....as soon as I am done with The Other Queen by Phillipa Gregory I will be sending it to you!

JUST ME said...

Patti,

love the picture Patti! This is the most snow I have seen in years. Patti, thanks for always leaving a supportive comment. It does mean a lot to me. I would love to meet you one day and go have some coffee or hot chocolate. Sounds like you had a nice Thanksgiving and I am sure you missed your mother. I am sure she was right there with you.

I am glad you had time to relax.

Peace to you Patti.

Angelica

Anonymous said...

Hello