
Every morning I have such good intentions of getting a great dinner on the table for dinner. Then reality sets in...After getting up really early and running around at school all day and usually an after-school activity or meeting, or on a "special" day- both, by the time I drag myself home it is all I can do to open a can of soup or press the buttons for microwave dinners. I collect cookbooks and have quite the array of them, including crock pot and "speedy supper" ones, but I just can NOT get my act together to get something good on the table. It doesn't help that Molly is often at a practice or watching a game somewhere and 2 nights a week Mike is not home until 7:00 because he is coaching and in charge of the church soccer league...so....I never manage to get the dinners I want made when I want them. Throw in the lack of energy at that time of day and the little or no creativity and it is truly a recipe for a whole lot of nothing!
My question to YOU is: How do you manage the whole dinner thing at your house? Are there certain "go to" meals that you prepare? Do you prepare on the weekend and freeze? Use the crock pot? AM I the ONLY one who is tired and uninspired at 4:00- 6:00 each day? Help!!! I just need some new inspiration to get out of this slump!
6 comments:
you're not alone !
I have my basics I rely on, so they can made quick and easy...
also...I love all the recipes from Kraft...somehow they know how I hate to cook and make all their recipes easy for me !!
quiche, meat loaf, soup, spinach salad, grilled chicken breasts, roast in the crock pot, many pasta dishes and chili is pretty much what we will live on for the winter months....
of course I love to throw in breakfast for dinner every now and then...that makes me smile :)
Oh, I feel your pain :( I'm not much of a cook, and like Beth, rely on basics, plus I double up. If I'm making chicken cutlets, I make enough of a batch for 2 nights so the 2nd night is a cinch. Or a roaster chicken one night, leftover chicken sandwiches the next. I "go-to" the grill at least once a week for quick burgers, and have a quick pita-pizza recipe that works well too.
As you probably know from reading my blog, cooking is a passion for me, not a chore. But I know it can be tough when working outside the home to come up with quick, delish and great suppers. Freezing main dishes and soups for busier days works great. Some of my regulars that I make double and freeze one are: beet borscht, cabbage rolls,chickburgers,chili to name a few. Add a salad, veg and bread and you are good to go.
Hope this helps. You might also enjoy checking out my recipe archives and review page from my cookbook over at:
www.veggiesyarnsandtails.wordpress.com
My cookbook: Not Just for Vegetarians is currently sold out but I do hope to get some more copies soon.Ill be having a sale online if I do.
Many hugs and Happy Thanksgiving,G
We use our grill almost 10 months of the year. This way we can have grilled chicken one night and chicken caesar salad, with the leftover chicken, the next night...of course I just use the "bag o salad"! The crockpot is my best friend during the school year. You just throw (literally) everything in, in the a.m. before work and arrive home to the aroma of a home-cooked meal! Chicken, chili, beef stew & corned beef are the best!!!
Sweetie,
My secrets are Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice. When I really get creative it's China King!!! But sometimes I make a crock pot roast with potatoes and carrots and we squeeze it out over the week. Happy planning!
Katie
If I tell you the truth, do you promise not to hate me? Jeffrey cooks. Yup. He's the man.
Still, it helps if we meal plan so he doesn't have to come up with something when he is tired. Plus, I keep him company and act as sous-chef. Sloane usually sits at the table and colors or does homework until it's time for her to set it. That way it becomes family time instead of drudgery. Works for us.
Post a Comment