Saturday, October 31, 2009


Happy Halloween to everyone!
This is my favorite holiday being that it is in fall, with all the colors and psychic possibilities... This year is perfect in that there is almost a full moon and daylight savings "falling back" happens tonight too. This week's OSI prompt is Shift in Time. I am a day early in doing this post, but the following poems were taken straight out of a journal from a few years ago. I think the first one especially captures my interpretation of a "shift in time." Join the other talented poets to see their interpretations of this prompt.


I wish that I could,
One more time,~
Be dressed up

in the costume of my dreams
And run,
dodging the leaves

raining down
and
skittering across the street~

Wild with abandon
from house to house ~
My biggest dilemma being…
Did I get something good in my treat bag?

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Darkness falls
As the Night creeps in
and with it
a bevy of trick or treaters
their flashlights bobbing
as they run from house to house


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Leaves rustle
wind howls
A child’s shriek
The moon glows
Another Hallow’s Eve

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Can you believe~
A full moon on Halloween?
I can almost picture...
A witch riding high,
her cat perched on her broom-
shrieking and cackling.~
off into the night ...


Halloween breakfast; I am sensing a theme....




Mike has a helper to carve his pumpkin!

"Little Punkin" at 14 months and then "Little Punkin" at 15 years trying on this year's Halloween costume!










The above pictures were of the sky last night. After many wet, gray, rainy days, for about 10 minutes the sky was absolutely gorgeous; almost like an artist painted it!

31 comments:

JUST ME said...

Patti,

Hope you have a wonderfully scary night tonight my ghoulish friend.

Hugs and bones,

Angelica Torrez

P.S. your daughter is adorable......

JUST ME said...

Patti,

it's so funny, I totally agree with Paranormal Activity saw it yesterday with the hubby....

only scary part was when she was dragged out of bed and when it ended I was like that's it.....

BUMMER...

next movie to watch the Alien Movie White OWL... now that looks good!

Laura said...

YOu are so right about the sky last night. It was gorgeous.

Love all your pictures! Your daughter in her pumpkin pajamas is adorable, then and now.

Love, love, love your poems.

Polka Dot Moon said...

Patti,

Your daughter is adorable! And what a GREAT costume this year :)

Love your poem. Hard to believe today is the 31st of October! Where does the time go?

AND......

You are not only super creative in all ways; you are so thoughtful! I can't tell you how much you made my day with your surprise in the mail!! Jackson even commented on your artistic talent :)
Thank you so much for the earrings and adorable tag! I will be sporting them today and thinking of you!

Witching you and yours a Spooktacular Halloween!
Denise

Rita said...

How lovely are your "sky" pictures! I love to look up at the sky in the early evenings and see all the colors that the Lord has created!
Your daughter is precious!
When my children were at home, I loved Halloween, passing out the candy and watching all the young "spooks" as they came to my door! Have a fun time!

Joanne said...

Wonderful poems, a little melancholy about the passing of time, but in a sweet way. Looks like your family is in full Halloween mode ... Enjoy!

Michelle said...

Happy Halloween Patti!! I love the first poem the best. :) My friend and I are going on a haunted ghost tour of old Oregon City. I can't wait! Must bring the good 'ol camera with me. :)

xoxo

Loch Rob said...

Very nice work and pictures too. Happy Halloween.

Maurice Lauher said...

Time as a child is so much longer that as an adult. Thaks for a great posting in so many ways.

Anonymous said...

great poems!!

i wish to be a kid too when i see my girls having so much fun...

great pics..

Amias (ljm and liquidplastic) said...

A lot of beautiful shifts in times ... I really enjoyed this Halloween journey, Patti. The pictures are lovely.

Join the fun at Acrostic Only!

gautami tripathy said...

Wonderful halloween journey, Pattie!

deathly adventure

Amity said...

Hi Patti,

your rendition of the prompt is more than a treat!

the poems though written years back and the beautiful pics that come with them...:)

giving life to your old writings is almost a shift in time...:)

I love your rendition of the prompt Patti, while mine is a different one...please take time to drop by my site, too!!!

Sherri B. said...

What a wonderful post, filled with both words and images that came straight from the heart. Thanks for sharing -- your daughter is beautiful. :~)

SandyCarlson said...

This is my favorite holiday, too. I love the metaphor of a child's Halloween as life itself. Wonderful photos, too.

Relyn Lawson said...

You sure know how to celebrate Halloween. And, how to make my day. I just checked yesterday's mail this morning (Sloane's been sick.) and found a lovely, wonderful surprise. Thank you SO much! Girlfriend, your art is terrific. So is your taste. Guess what's dangling from my little ears as I type. Thank you, again, my sweet friend. (There's an email in the works, too.)

Maggie said...

One good thing about having grandchildren is that a person can act as a child again with them and not seem too foolish. :)

Ragamuffin Gal said...

OOO I LoVe this post!!! The picture, the words and descriptions, every thing!!! And I love my Halloween earrings!!! and the tag they arrived on, and the cute art work all over the envelop ~ You are so creative and I am soo lucky!!!! THANK YOU my friend!!! Blessings!!!

Jukota said...

It has been years since we've participated in Halloween, but your poems brought back wonderful memories. And I have often wondered about the artist who paints those skies!

Tumblewords: said...

Beautiful, beautiful!

Tammie Lee said...

This was a wonderful collection of Halloween poems. I remembered many Halloweens through your words and photos too. Wonderful costume, did you have fun?
Spirithelpers

Keke said...

Yum, pumpkin pancakes, are you kidding me? I've never seen such a thing but now I'll be on the hunt! Love, love your baby girl's costume, so adorable! Hope you had an awesome weekend!
XO Keke

zoya gautam said...

terrific ..

The Stachelski's said...

Oh my goodness I can't believe it's been that long! Molly is just adorable as ever!

JUST ME said...

Patti,

Just wanted to thank you for my wonderful surprise I recd in the mail....

Thank you so much.... I already wore them.

Angie

beth said...

love love love seeing your little pumpkin... then and now....her costume is the BEST !!!

Geraldine said...

What a wonderful, heartwarming post. Thanks Patti, I needed that.

Hugs, G

Andree said...

I am totally in love with the first poem. I wonder now — what was the costume of my dreams? I remember those fantastic Halloween nights.

Jim said...

Hi Patty, these were nice pictures. Your daughter poses well, she's a cute girl.

Your shift in time poem is great. Unlike the hour shift which we get back every year, your poem tells of a shift we won't get back until senility.

I had pumpkin pancakes for breakfast on the 30th, my birthday. Daughter Karen and family took me to IHOP on my first leg of running away (some now on my RT blog and more now and then).
..

Jeeves said...

Lovely poems, images. Enjoyed reading this one

Roberta said...

Lots of memories come up to my mind! A warm hug, Roberta