Sunday, November 29, 2009

Moving on...


Somehow they know
when it's time
to move on~
As Jack consistently Frosts
the world a sparkling, glittering white
and the trees stand bare~
their leaves clustered about their trunks
the geese know it's time.
As they fly overhead,
I stop and gaze upwards
in awe
and respect
because they know,
these geese know
when it's time to move on.
In formation
each with a job
there to support each other
leaving the coldness behind
in the hopes of warmth ahead.
Looking at them
I know too
it's time to join my "sister geese",
leave my late autumnal hopes and coldness behind
and move on into the warmth
knowing my "flock" is there to support me
and guide me
to where I need to be.
Yes , it's time.
To move on
.



This week's prompt at OSI is migration. Please migrate over to that site and check out the other poems. Have a wonderful week and thanks always for the comments.

24 comments:

Relyn Lawson said...

As Jack consistently Frosts
the world a sparkling, glittering white


Sigh. Oh, friend, you do have a way with words.

Amias (ljm and liquidplastic) said...

Instinct, how wonderful. Would that I could use my intuition as well as these birds. Very nice.

Loch Rob said...

The annual migrations, progammed from antiquity. And also how our families and loved ones help us migrate throughout our lives. Nicely woven.

beth said...

the geese around here are still just thick thick thick !

I'm sure by next week, they'll be gone....where do they go exactly ? that always baffles me !

beth said...

ohhhh.....and tell me you've seen "fly away home"

Laura said...

Beautiful writing. Very meaningful. and your blog is Christmas pretty! See you Tuesday!!!! I think I can do dinner again; will check for sure and you let you know tomorrow to see if you can make it.

SandyCarlson said...

They know. They are our teachers.

Anonymous said...

isn't it amazing that they know..

great poem..

Sherri B. said...

This was so lovely...and your blog background is beautiful!

Jim said...

Pattie, you expressed the awe of nature(??) very well here. So many of us will look up in apprecitatin and wonderment as these geese flocks fly by.
Will we ever, through science, tap into those geese's minds? I wonder what their parameters are (engineer in me)?
Did you know that geese have a rotation formula and that all (or most) will take turns leading? The first bird has the most wind resistance.

Towards the end I am sensing something ominous. I do hope I am a part of your "flock." You could follow those ducks south. Texas needs teaching geese.
..
BTW, my 'ditty' today is about a bird fallen from formation.
..

Rita said...

Patti, what a lovely post. Thanks for your support. Hopefully we will support you and others all the way in moving on with our lives. God bless my friend.

Michelle said...

That was so beautiful. :) Reminds me of the video of the Starlings that make beautiful formations like this.

xoxo

Michelle and the kitties

Anonymous said...

I love the frost line, and can you imagine looking up and saying
"There goes the Smith clan"

Mlu said...

Patti
Your "flock" will always be there to support you...
Thanks for adding the Christmas playlist...I had it on all day Sunday, as I worked on my paper for night school!!
Mlu

Tammie Lee said...

It is a gift to know when it is time to move on and when it is time to stay. I wonder where you are going. Lovely poem.

Tumblewords: said...

Terrific piece - a time to migrate, even if it's only into the next season. Lovely!

Quiet Paths said...

This poem made me realize that there is less than three weeks until Winter solstice. Moving along indeed they should. I just heard some more this morning.

zoya gautam said...

.. a good to read poem patti , thanks ..

Jon Lee said...

Hi Patti,

I enjoyed your lovely blog. Your poetry is very nice.

Jon Lee

Jeeves said...

Nice one

Rita said...

Pati, thanks for stopping by. I always enjoy your posts. I keep up with what you have to say and wanted others to enjoy it too.

Geraldine said...

This is excellent Patti. I like what you've done with this prompt. We all need to know when it's time to MOVE ON!!!

Hugs, G

PS the Pratsie said...

well written :) loved the image u chose !

gabrielle said...

We know when it is time. May the currents gently lift you in flight.