Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Some Halloween Creativity and a Book List!

Below are some pictures of the Halloween postcard tags I made for the Halloween Postcard Swap for Red Lead- I had to make 3 and I will recieve 3 from other people. I can't wait to see the ones I get!






Below are a trio of witches that I have been cross stitching. The top one was finished last night at Stitch Night at Inspired Needle- yea!!! And it's NOT even Halloween yet - Whoo Hoo!
This witch was a pattern from With Thy Needle, which was loaned to me by Linda, one of my stitching friends. I love the colors.



This was an adorable witch pattern from Sampler Girl



The last witch was a kit from Shepherd's Bush that I bought over the summer. You can't see, but the fabric is kind of mottled green and sparkley- very pretty.



I recently asked the staff at my school to send me a title of a book that has somehow left an impact on them in some way; they didn't have to say why or how, just the title. The response was amazing- so I am sharing the list here. Interestingly, certain titles kept showing up from people: To Kill A Mockingbird, The Help, My Sister's Keeper, Hunger Games Series, and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series. So, if you are ever in need of a book to read, these are among the favorites and ones that have stayed with the reader long after the last page was turned. Enjoy!

Little Bee- Chris Cleave
Travels- Michael Crichton
Columbine- Dave Cullen
Twilight Saga Stephanie Meyer
The Necklace- Cheryl Jarvis
Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
Catching Fire- Suzanne Collins
Mockingjay- Suzanne Collins
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance-Robert Pirsig
A Reliable Wife- Robert Goolrick
Swing- Rupert Holmes
Crank- Ellen Hopkins
Anything But Typical- Nora Raleigh Baskin
Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series- Stieg Larrson
The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest- Stieg Larrson
The Girl Who Played With Fire- Steig Larrson
Cutting For Stone- Abraham Verghese
Still Alice- Lisa Genova
We Need To Talk About Kevin- Lionel Shriver- (a past Book Club selection- still one of the best books- however- very disturbing)
The Well and the Mine-Gin Phillips
Nineteen Minutes- Jodi Picoult
Bitter is the New Black- Jen Lancaster
Pull of the Moon- Elizabeth Berg
Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake- Aimee Bender
Kite Runner- Khaled Hosseini
Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time- Mark Haddon
Blue Bistro- Elin Hildebrand
Flags Of Our Fathers- James Bradly
The Secret- Rhonda Byrne
Firefly Lane- Krsiten Hannah
House Rules- Jodi Picoult
My Sister's Keeper- Jodi Picoult
In Cold Blood- Truman Capote
Three Cups of Tea- Greg Mortensen
To Kill A Mockingbird- Harper Lee
Mrs. de Winter- Susan Hill
East of Eden- John Steinbeck
The Help- Kathyrn Stockett
The Other Boleyn Girl- Phillipa Gregory
Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee- Dee Brown
Summer Sisters- Judy Blume
Marley and Me- Josh Grogan
Salem's Lot- Stephen King
Of Mice and Men- John Steinbeck
I Know This Much Is True- Wally Lamb
Bluebeard - Kurt Vonnegut
The Lucky One- Nicholas Sparks
The Road- Cormac McCarthy
Chasing Vermeer- Blue Balliett
Jurassic Park- Michael Crichton
The Diary of Anne Frank
Gone With the Wind- Margaret Mitchell
5 People You Meet in Heaven- Mitch Albom
Red Tent- Anita Diamant
1,000 Women; The Journals of May Dodd- Jim Fergus
She's Come Undone- Wally Lamb
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff- Richard Carlson
Half Asleep In Frog Pajamas- Tom Robbins
Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates-Tom Robbins
Fountainhead- Ayn Rand
Memoirs of a Geisha- Arthur Golden
The DaVinci Code- Dan Brown
The Thorn Birds- Colleen McCullough
Why We Still Suck - Dennis Leary- current Book Club read

9 comments:

Joanne said...

That's a great book list, with lots of titles. I've heard so much about the Stieg Larrson books and have to check them out. I'd add Elizabeth Berg's We Are All Welcome Here to the list. What a story, and that it was inspired by a reader's life made it even more poignant.

beth said...

love your tags and lucky you to be playing with "redlead".....and thanks for the book list !!!

Jim said...

You tag cards are really nice. They took almost as much time to make as the cross stitching didn't they?

My favorite is the cross stitched witch. Its hanging may become a tradition in your home. I'm wondering what size the needlework is.

I'll remember your reading list. Mrs. Jim is in a book club here. They meet once a month with a book or more having been read by the group.
They even discuss the books. Some book clubs are more social and not everyone reads the books.
..

Geraldine said...

What a great post, so creative! Love the tags and the needlework.Im going back to re-read your book list.

Hugs to you, G

www.veggiesyarnsandtails.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Great tags Patti.

Have a nice weekend and I hope you get out there to enjoy this beautiful fall weather.

Love, Angie

Relyn Lawson said...

I haven't even read your post yet. First, I had to tell you that I love your new blog look. And I am DYING over your wonderful new banner. I think I'm in love!

Relyn Lawson said...

Oh, I love this book list. You know I do. I also love that you sent it out at work. I want to steal your idea. But, I'm pretty sure I won't get nearly so many responses. I think I'll try, though. Happy weekend, my friend.

Rita said...

Thank you for the great reading list. Sounds like a great one to have. Looks like you have been very busy making those tags!

mlu said...

Patti
Love your new banner... the tags and stitching are so darn cute! Most of all, thanks for the book list. Those South teachers are amazing readers! I copied the list and immediatly made a trip to Palos Hts.library.