Sunday, November 14, 2010

Echoes


echoes
of voices in my past
invade my thoughts
when I least expect them to~
ringing loud and clear-
stopping me dead in my tracks
with yearning, sadness, regret, and anger
so profound
it can literally
take my breath away~
why can't these voices
be reduced to a
faint whisper
and gently
fade away
to
a
wispy
nothingness
and just leave me alone
to heal,
get on with my life
and
just
be?


This week's prompt at OSI is "echoes"- please check out the other poems!

16 comments:

Laura said...

Wishing you peace. I am sure that every time a holiday rolls around things get louder in your head.

Joanne said...

Those echoes sometimes feel like such a part of us, don't they? But like with any echo, the more they sound, the softer and more distant they seem to get.

Ramesh Sood said...

Echoes from past have to be replaced by echoes from a beautiful future..

SandyCarlson said...

I ask the same questions. And then I wonder what I haven't resolved yet. And I think those ghosts are waiting for me to resolve them somehow.

Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim said...

Hi Patti, very thought provoking.
Do you think echoes of the unpleasant voices in our lives are louder or softer than those pleasant voices? If so, why?

I think we are made that way, for a reason that I don't understand.

They haven't receded very much. The only thing more constant is the ringing in my ears. It never stops.
..
I am not in OSI this week either. ;)
..

Relyn Lawson said...

Sloane is down with strep throat, today. So, I'm home and grabbing the chance to catch up on neglected tasks and treats. You know what a gift a day like this, don't you? It makes me sad that our lives have become so busy that we're secretly a little glad when our child is sick so that we can stay home from work and WORK. The first thing I did when I woke up was come to the computer to start visiting my friends. So. Here I am. Hello friend.

Geraldine said...

Oh I know of what you speak. You have expressed these thoughts so beautifully. A great take on the prompt too.

Hugs and Happy Week, G

www.veggiesyarnsandtails.wordpress.com
www.mypoeticpath.wordpress.com

Amity said...

yes, echoes reverberate, of past to future reminding how vulnerable are each one of us...

Nanka said...

These echoes are for us to hear and it is up to us to act on the right ones...The Angel and the Devil both voice their echoes into our ears and when they are resolved the evil echoes melt away stealthily.

Rita said...

Patti, I did not mean to make you cry, only to think about living life to the fullest and making every moment of it count. 50 is a wonderful age. It was my best birthday! I felt as though I was old enough to do as I pleased without someone always saying something about it and yet young enough to still enjoy life! So just enjoy being 50. It's a great time in your life.

Anonymous said...

interesting human thoughts!

Harshad Mehta said...

Patti, I know what you are talking about.

So well put in words by you.

I think by and by, one learns to deal with these echoes. I think that is what spirituality is all about, isn't it?

Keke said...

Dearest friend, ghost and echoes have been visiting me lately as well...I want to walk through that doorway without their comment. I've decided to try visualization...hope it doesn't sound too crazy, but now when they come I visualize a dandelion that has gone to seed in my hand, I blow on it and see the milky white seedlings traveling in the wind somewhere else away from me....just in case...Happy Thanksgiving, I'm so thankful to always have your voice there waiting. <3 XO Keke

Anonymous said...

I read your poem. I read the comments.
Comments are echoes, circles in the water...
You managed to involve your friends on them.
I am not a good writer like you are, plus I am also a foreigner, and I can't express myself as I should or would like, but, thank you for your thoughts.
Love
Roberta Patuzzi