Sunday, November 21, 2010

Work in Progress (Apprentice)

This week's prompt at OSI is "Apprentice." I love how these prompts tend to align with whatever is going on in my life at the moment both literally and often on a higher more abstract level as well. Here is a haiku for the prompt as well as another poem...

a work in progress
an apprentice to my life
who I want to be
******************
a beginner
and a learner...
always~
attempting
to grow and change
unfurling wings
that have been
held tightly closed
and sometimes
even clipped.
looking to be
unchained
from all the
~"isms"
that have
grounded
and stymied me
for so long...
learning to fly?
(and maybe even one day to soar)
...trying to acknowledge
the "Messengers"
that have been sent to me...
it's up to me
to receive their messages,
to ponder their meanings
and apply them where needed
and then
let those "Messengers" go
(if i can- the hardest part yet...)~
i have all the tools of the trade
that i need,
but
i can't do this alone...





Below are some cards I made for a card swap for Red Lead. I only had to make 3 Christmas/ winter cards using stamps from their store. No problem there as I realized I had more of their stamps than I thought. I can't wait to get my swap cards!







Below are my WIPs; works in progress in cross stitch-ese. The first is Belle Pepper from Little House Needleworks. I actually kept the colors the same but got different material. It's hard to see , but mine is very sparkly and over-dyed, giving it a mottled look.










This is my Crescent Angel by The Primitive Needle- this is almost done!

The bottom picture is ALL I accomplished in about an hour's worth of time last night at my friend Jayne's house (after ripping out the second row about 5 times). It is my first real attempt on linen and I am not doing really well. All my stitching friends are very supportive and so helpful (thanks again Karin for all your patience), but for some reason it is just so hard for me to do the counting and visualizing required to make this work. And of course everyone makes it look so darn easy. I gave up last night but I will attempt this again soon, as I just love the look that the different fabrics have.









15 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

Sure can relate to this in many ways.
Thank you.

(Your prompt "meld" comes up at OSI this coming Sunday. Please send me your poem and/or image by Friday.)

Karin said...

DON'T GIVE UP!! Like I told you before...it is not that we learned it overnight. It takes time and patience but I am sure you will master it!!!!

Laura said...

Your cards are gorgeous! As are your WIPs. I hate to keep sounding like a broken record, but don't forget to try the linen with Q-snaps. I cannot stitch on linen without them. They make the fabric taut and the holes easier to see.

beth said...

oh i hope those wings of yours do what you want them to do.....

Ramesh Sood said...

Fantastic Patti.. beautifully written..

"Messengers"that have been sent to me...it's up to meto receive their messages,to ponder their meaningsand apply them where neededand then let those "Messengers" go"

I mean how easy life will become.. comfortable.. we need to learn to receive..messages..Yes. Thank you for such wisdom..

Keke said...

Patti...do you know where we are lucky that others aren't? We recognize the messangers...and that brings us hope instead of meaningless misunderstanding...that being said...it also brings us a certain kind of insanity in trying to figure out the message!!! LOL. Love the christmas cards...and your absolutely right about the counted cross stitch...it takes a great amount of patience to stitch on linen, but you've inspired me to pull out some of my wip's that have been set aside for far too long. Hope you have a wonderful week! XO Keke

Anonymous said...

this is touching!

Tumblewords: said...

Wow! Look at you! I can relate to the haiku and poem for sure. Your crafts are so lovely! What fun it must be to share those adventures with others. An inspiring post...

Amity said...

Hi Patti...

Weewww...yeyyyy...I am green with envy with those needle works of yours, though they are still a work in progress...gosh I wish I could do that too, but got no time at all!

I love your poem, the endless queries...if when will it end...the messages to decode!

Geraldine said...

Your cards are so pretty, nice work!

We are all works in progress, aren't we? Living and learning keeps us vibrant and strong. I like what you did with this prompt, I came up with nada!!!!

Hugs, G

www.veggiesyarnsandtails.wordpress.com

www.mypoeticpath.wordpress.com

Jim said...

I hope your clipped wings heal fast. Our wings tend to be like the nine lives of a cat, they persist. That is the good part.

It's good too, to look at happenings and other people's words and deeds as messages.
Remember not all messages are welcome; some deservedly not. :)
..
BTW, thank you Teach, for the application of 'yay' in your comment. The thanks is for teaching me the correct way to spell it. Not 'yeah!' or 'yea' as I have been spelling it.
..

Tammie Lee said...

your poems are wonderfully spiritual, for me.

Also your cards are wonderful, I can only imagine the recipient as being thrilled.

Yes, do take that class. I am not sure if she will always have it there for free, you can download the movies. I had a great time, jump right in and have fun.

Anonymous said...

"A journey of a thousand miles begines with a single step". Don't give up now. You took your first step!!!
Linda C.

Relyn Lawson said...

These are some great cards. Love them. It's Thanksgiving day and we are all piled up watching the parade. So, I have the perfect time to drop by and visit friends. I wanted to tell you that one the things I am thankful for today is blogging and the way it has made my world so much bigger. Thank you for the friendship, the wisdom, and the inspiration I have found here. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, my friend. Happy Thanksgiving!

Short Poems said...

Your cards are so beautiful, I enjoyed your poem :) :)