Thursday, July 19, 2012

50 Shades of Whatever

Peer Pressure.  It's a heady, powerful thing.  I have found that it  doesn't go away as one gets older and it really doesn't get easier.  It's still there- looming BIG with a net to pull you along and eventually suck you in.  With that being said....this summer all my friends were doing IT.  All my friends were talking about IT, so were daytime tv shows.  You couldn't go anywhere without seeing IT or hearing about IT.   Not wanting to feel left out, I decided to  join the crowd and do IT too- to find out what  the Big Deal was...

 So yes, I did succumb.  I am not necessarily proud of it, but I did do IT.  I got sucked into the world of Christian Grey- all 50 Shades of him. Yup. I read all 3 books.  On my Nook.  Really quickly. And I am done. Was it worth it?  Kind of- in a way- I am now in the "position" discuss the "delicacies" and "toys" that were referenced in the book if those topics ever come up somewhere. I  "get" the Christian Grey ecard posts on Pinterest and Facebook. I broadened my vocabulary  and intellect with terms, concepts, phrases, and words I never knew existed. I am not sure WHERE I would ever use them, but I am ready to pepper my witty banter with them- fancy dinner party or staff meeting perhaps- LOL! The books have also sparked some interesting discussions among my friends- and some good laughs as well!

 Was it one of the best set of books I have ever read?  Nope.  Not even close. Not very well written, VERY redundant, and  I have to say, it "all" got a little old and somewhat tedious. I mean- come ON- really???!   I started to refer to it as 50 Shades of "Whatever"  as I became immune to the many" pleasures" the main characters enjoyed.  I found myself skipping multiple pages when things got hot and heavy between Christian and Ana- which tended to be ALL the time. It was a very weird foray into a world that I didn't even know existed (and don't care to really know much more- thank you!), but I kind of did get attached to the characters and wanted to see how it all turned out. So, thank you to Christian Grey for making my hot and steamy summer that MUCH MORE!!!

Laters Baby!!!!

4 comments:

Karin said...

Too funny Patti!!! As you know I wanted to be part of IT too and read all 3 in no time and it is exactly how you reviewed it!! Plus side we are IT-people now:-)

Nan said...

I too bowed to peer pressure and although it isn't a great book I find myself wanting to know how their journey ends. I'm getting ready to start book 3 and hope that my husband doesn't get wind there is another "lifestyle" out there :-0
Laters baby!

beth said...

i loved the characters, too....and the story line regarding his upbringing/childhood....

do i want a red room of pain....no.

did it liven up my sex life a bit....you betcha :)

Mlu said...

Just finished book three and must agree even though it was not a well written trilogy, I found myself wanting to find out more about the characters! It was pretty slow and redundant in the second book and found myself skimming to finish.
Glad I am now part of the IT crowd!