Monday, July 30, 2012

A Lumpy Mess and a" Wish"

 a lump of tears form
because I have to let go
hardest thing for me

 (The prompt at OSI this week is "lump"- see what others have done with this prompt) This haiku is "inspired" by my daughter getting ready to leave for her first semester in college in about 2 weeks. I knew it was going to be hard but it really IS hard. I go back and forth between being excited for her and her new opportunities and knowing I will miss her so much (and as an added "bonus" she turns 18 on Fri.). It is truly one of the hardest things I have ever been through. She will be in Grand Rapids, MI, which is about 3 hours away; she is also on the soccer team which means that she is unable to get home much since she has Sat. games. We fully plan to get to as many of her games as possible but it just isn't the same. So...any "words of wisdom" that anyone can impart are all very welcome.

 I am including the video from Rascal Flatts of their song "My Wish." It truly embodies all my thoughts about what I wish for her in life. This song was played at her Graduation Mass and to say that I was a puddle would be an understatement (I was NOT the only one). We saw Rascal Flatts in concert on Sat. night and I didn't disappoint myself and ended up crying through the song when they played it- it's impossible not to. Hope you enjoy this and your week~~~ (By the way- Blogger is not behaving today so this is NOT the way I wanted this post to be.)

11 comments:

Jim said...

It's okay, Patti ~~ Blogger does me in sometimes too. Often I have to put a period between lines to make a space. Then I color the period white.

Ask your mom or dad (I hope you still have at least one of those) how they felt. Dad said he was terribley lonesome (I was glad to escape from home) but I never knew that for a long time. He got over it, I guess.

I sort of remember when our daughter Karen left for college. Things did get lonesome. Like you want though, we did run up to see her quite a bit. I hope you will get to see most of her games and visit often.

Also her alarm wouldn't wake her up so I would call her every morning to wake her up. I'd also ask her if she had her mittens to wear while running on the those chilly mornings.

Now she is (shh, 38), Karen on the run, a working mom with her hubby a 'stay at home dad.' She has been here visiting for over a week now, but they live in London.
..

Laura said...

Hi Buddy! Not having a child; I don't know exactly how you feel but I can understand how hard this is!

I will say that the years after college graduation are when my Mom and I spent the most amount of time together hanging out.....so this is the beginning of a new era for you two....

Anonymous said...

your daughter is not so far (3 hours)and I can imagine that she is so close to your heart ....wonderful lyrics and haiku Patti !!

Polka Dot Moon said...

Another milestone! New journey! So many emotions.....

I'm teary just reading this. I have a way to go before college, but the first day of school is next week and I say to myself every year that I will not cry........hasn't happened yet!

Enjoy every minute together :)

Hugs Patti!!

anthonynorth said...

My youngest is about to set out into the big world, too. A massive change.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are back! You have raised a lovely girl!

MLU said...

lLove this song too Patti!!! It really fits for our daughters....
The worst part for both Dan and I was "the car ride home" after dropping them off....... we both were a mess! it DOES get better and you always have those times to look forward to when they do come home for visits and holidays!!!! It's a new chapter in the lives of empty nest parents. We have raised them for this moment of independence and should be very proud of all of their accomplishments!!!!! Nevertheless, we still cry...........:-(

Geraldine said...

Your daughter is going to be very close still and of course email and phone, instant connections always! Of course you are going to miss her but she is moving on and starting a new chapter in life and that's the way it should be. I know a lot about missing people, it's so hard but somehow, we cope. Sending lots of hugs your way, G

beth said...

gosh, i'm not sure i can be of any help, as our daughter went to school only 15 minutes across town. she lived on her own all 4 years, which gave her the independence she needed, but came over once a week for dinner.

our son is now across town...going to school and is 25 minutes away with heavy traffic...but like our daughter, is on his own in a condo.

he's so busy, but we try to make him visit once a week :)

so i guess what i can tell you is that they mature so fast when they are gone and being home with just my hubby has been really fun. we really enjoy each other's company and cooking for two is so easy.

it will all be a big change, but don't let her know how sad you might be with her gone. this is all about her now and the wings she's growing for an amazing future in front of her.....xoxoxo

totomai said...

she'll be ready to face a new world. but her heart will still be with you, her family. :-)

Karin said...

I cried for you when I saw the video and cried for me as you know I will go through the same in 3 years time :-(
My wish and hope for you and me that the sadness won't be long and we can enjoy the new chapter to the fullest. <<<>>