Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Olympic Projects

My Stitching Buddies (see below) have decreed that we all have "special" projects to stitch on for the duration of the Olympics.  After many discussions of different projects and the "rules,"  to abide by, I think most of us have our needles poised and our projects ready to take those first stitches once the "Games Begin!"



Lately, my stitching group has become enamored with all the patriotic pieces that are out; and there are TONS!!!  Being that the Olympics are a patriotic event, I thought that a patriotic project would be a good choice.  I had a hard time narrowing my choices down, but I finally settled on    " Land That I Love"  from Birds of  a Feather. I am using the colors called for (WDW) and am doing it on "specially dyed" 14 count aida.  I actually dyed the fabric for another project.  It was supposed to be Pearl Grey, but ended up a periwinklish blue that is quite pretty with the color of the threads.  Of course I have to have patriotic scissors to go with as well :).  My friend Chris also picked the same project but she is doing hers on linen.


My other Olympic Project is that Chris's son is currently getting ready to compete  in the Junior National Olympics at Morgan State University in Baltimore, Maryland!!!!  He competes tomorrow in the hurdles- so in honor of Andrew's accomplishments, Chris and I decided that we would start our Olympic Project early (our " rules"are meant to be bended and amended).  Chris told me that she is going to change the year and initials and use it as a memento for Andrew as a memory of all that he has achieved.  I have known Andrew since he was born  (he is now almost 17) and have watched him grow into a very driven young man; very goal-oriented and passionate about what he wants.  His parents are extremely proud of all his hard work and dedication that has gotten him this far!  So Good Luck to Andrew in his competition and Good Luck to all the Americans competing once the Olympics get underway; and let the Games Begin!!!!

7 comments:

BrendaS said...

Patti -- Your project looks great. Can't wait to see it on your "specially" dyed fabric too:)

Congrats to your friends son! I'll be cheering him on:)

SandyCarlson said...

Patriotism can be beautiful. Thanks to the Olympics for reminding us of that. Of course, demons like Hitler exploited the Olympics to make a feast of the ugly side of patriotism. We have enough Ugly Siders running around telling us they will save us from ourselves right now, that I could do with some good, healthy sports to shake off all of that. Your art is beautiful.

SandyCarlson said...

Patriotism can be beautiful. Thanks to the Olympics for reminding us of that. Of course, demons like Hitler exploited the Olympics to make a feast of the ugly side of patriotism. We have enough Ugly Siders running around telling us they will save us from ourselves right now, that I could do with some good, healthy sports to shake off all of that. Your art is beautiful.

Amrit Sinha said...

Looks great - have a lovely Olympics :-)

Relyn Lawson said...

I do love the Olympics. I love the way that you ladies are celebrating them.

Geraldine said...

what a great idea Patti, good luck with your projects!

I'm back to blogging today woohoo...over at Happy Break.

Hugs, G

Laura said...

Can't wait to see your progress!!!! I love this project. So cool about Andrew! What scissors did you get?