Thursday, August 7, 2008



Ok- it's about 10 days before the start of school. I always compare this time of year to a roller coaster's steady click- click- click up to the top; feeling excitement and dread because you kind of know what's in store and there is no turning back. Once at the top- you know what's coming- the zoom down the first hill and then you're off until you slam to a stop at the end.
Starting school for me is so much like that, with these last few days being the click- click-click up to the top. The year takes off at warp speed and with it comes a myriad of responsibilities. There are slow spots and more hills and dips, and lots of fun along the way until the "ride" ends in June.
Don't get me wrong- I enjoy what I do and I LOVE who I work with, but my time off is precious and much needed to refuel and recharge for the year ahead. Unfortunately, it is usually into the 2nd day of in-service that I start to question if I ever had uninterrupted stretches of lazy summer time. Those days of summer become a quick fuzzy memory. But until I retire (that's an oxymoron!) I will continue to get off the "ride" each year and get right back in line to do it again!

So, to any teachers feeling the same way...enjoy the leisurely climb and view on the ride up, put your hands in the air at the top, let go and enjoy the ride!

1 comment:

Relyn Lawson said...

I love this post! You captured the feel of back to school just perfectly. I had Parent Orientation tonight and it went really well. Isn't it the best feeling to start the year off right? I have a new classroom so it has been a massive effort to get it put together. I'm so pleased at the way it has come together. Enjoy your roller coaster. Thanks for the reminder to enjoy mine.