Sunday, December 7, 2008



This was actually an e-mail that circulated through my group of friends a few weeks ago and I thought it would make a good topic to blog about. Feel free to copy this too.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? gift bag - I hate to wrap but love getting gifts that are beautifully wrapped
2. Real tree or Artificial? artificial but I love real; especially the smell
3. When do you put up the tree? Thanksgiving weekend if I can
4. When do you take the tree down? Before I go back to school but after the first of the year
5. Do you like eggnog? Love it!
6. Favorite gift received as a child? Barbies probably and Barbie clothes that my dad made and Partridge Family albums
7. Hardest person to buy for? My sister- she has everything, including a store that sells everything!!
8. Easiest person to buy for? Mike - he needs clothes and loves books
9. Do You have a nativity scene? yes- a beautiful Fontinini one we received for our wedding - but an animal or figurine always goes missing during the season and is found after Christmas
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Always mail and try and MAKE some too
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? – talking photo frame that was "used" and had someone else's picture and message in it
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Prancer (sob) and Annabelle's Wish (double sob) and a Christmas Story, Elf, and Holiday Inn
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I always think about it early but don't act on it until late
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? yes
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? It's all about the cookies, and the yummy appetizers
16. Lights on the tree? white
17. Favorite Christmas song? Trans Siberian Orchestra ones- they rock; literally. I do love all kinds of other Christmas music too
18.Travel at Christmas or stay home? Travel a half hour to Indiana to my sister's house
19. Favorite Christmas tradition? My dad would always save and hide one last gift somewhere either in the tree or near it and guide us to it after all the presents are opened. I still try and do that too
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? An angel but it is currently missing
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? We open Christmas Eve at my in-law's house and our own on Christmas morning then go to my sister's house later in the morning to open a few more and relax and have a wonderful brunch
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Traffic and crowds
23. Favorite ornament theme or color? I have all my ornaments from childhood as well as from my parent's trees and ones friends, family and students have given to me and made, and they may not match, but they’re special. I have one tree set up in the dining room with just ornaments from my parents' tree and a tree in the basement with only snowmen and winter ornaments that stays up all winter. I also have a few small trees around- one in the kitchen with gingerbread stuff on it and one at the top of the stairs with snowflakes and glass sweaters, hats, and mittens.
24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? roast beef
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? happiness and peace to my family and friends- really!
26. Favorite things to do during the Christmas season-? We love to go to Chicago and see the windows in the Loop and the big tree at the old Marshall Fields store. We also have a girls' outing to go to tea at the Drake or somewhere really fancy with my sisters-in- laws and mother-in-law.
27. Favorite decoration? - an old Santa doll that I have had since I was 1 year old and my Christmas stocking that my dad made for me
28. Favorite holiday beverage - warm mulled wine
29. Favorite Christmas scent? - pine
30. Favorite Christmas carol? "O Come All Ye Faithful" , "The First Noel", "O Holy Night"

What is your favorite part of Christmas?




4 comments:

Laura said...

Love this post! You are right, we do have a lot in common! I loved Partridge Family albums too!!! I love learning about all your Christmas trees; your house sounds like it is really beautiful.

My favorite part of Christmas is all of the wonderful memories this time of year evokes. I also love going to my Mom's house as she is the best Christmas magic maker there is! I also love sending/receiving Christmas cards.

Hope you have a good week!

beth said...

this was so much fun and the old pictures....WOW, they look just like mine...were you born in the
60's, too ??

A Romantic Porch said...

That picture with Santa is adorable. AND how cool that your Dad has played such a huge role in your Christmas memories. xo rachel

Anonymous said...

Patti
I absolutely LOVE your page! I have been playing music from your playlist all week ...
I forwarded your blog to Kaitlyn too. She is a photo buff and loved the picure Molly took at Fields!
Enjoy the holidays!!
Mary Lou