Saturday, June 20, 2009

Fritterers Unite!


I've decided to start a new group, of which I would be The Queen of, but I just never get around to it...Fritterer's Anonymous! Anyone care to join?


According to dictionary.com, this it the definition of fritter:

fritter 1 

–verb (used with object)
1.
to squander or disperse piecemeal; waste little by little (usually fol. by away): to fritter away one's money; to fritter away an afternoon.


Yup- that's me! Today is the perfect example of complete fritteration: I have nowhere I need to be, not really anything I need to do, so instead of going to the basement and creating, or reading, or cleaning...I frittered away the morning. "Doing what?" I ask myself... I can't really even answer that, but here it is afternoon and I have absolutely NOTHING to show for my morning! Wait- I did play a "few" games of Spider Solitaire (#1 on my list of Time Frittering Activities), but that's about it.

Is frittering a bad thing? Being the Pisces that I am and this is part of our traits, I, of course think this behavior is fine (I can rationalize anything)- but like anything else, frittering should be done in moderation; something that someone with the summer off and nothing really going on except picking her daughter up from summer school each day at noon, needs to remember. There are plenty of things I could be doing, and a few I should be doing, but sometimes it is nice to just not do any of it. Don't get me wrong- I am highly responsible and a friend even called me a "do-er" last week and I get what I need done, but usually with some degree of frittering involved beforehand. I am also "gifted" in telling others what to do so THEY don't fritter away their time as well (although this gift does not seem to be working today as the treadmill is still in pieces in the basement).
Frittering is a definite talent and I can fritter with the best of them (too bad it was never a competitive sport...)! One needs to practice frittering to get just the right mixture of doing nothing really productive while actually doing something. Not everyone can excel in this skill, but kudos to you who have accomplished it!
Maybe I need to re-word fritter and call it "losing oneself in individual pursuits." Oh yes, that sounds so much more positive...

So, are YOU a fritterer, and if so, what do you do to fritter away YOUR time?

9 comments:

Laura said...

As you know, I believe I am the Princess of Frittering as you are now the Queen.

My frittering activities include:
1. surfing the net
2. Reading books
3. Sleeping
4. Looking at the mess in my home and feeling overwhemed by it; and then doing either or all o numbers 1 through 3!!!!!!

I mean really, you think I would stamp, cross-stitch, organize supplies, go through all of the ephemera I have or something even slightly constructive; but no. I fritter! Everyday!!!! Please help me! I need the balance you speak of!

Polka Dot Moon said...

Guilty!

Suduko
Crossword puzzles
Being Online - way too much lately!
Cubis 2

I have more, but don't want to list them ;)
How I get anything done sometimes amazes me!

Hubby would NOT like to hear that.....

Joanne said...

You do sound like the Queen, having mastered the unique skill of Frittering. Thanks for you inspiration, I'm off to fritter away my rainy afternoon :) Happy Summer to you!

Relyn Lawson said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!! I'm in, I'm in. I have been desperately guilty of that for the past week and a half. Fritter, fritter, fritter. Don't tell anybody, but I frequently fritter by playing games on my daughter's Webkinz account. GAH!!

Ragamuffin Gal said...

I admit - I kinda enjoy frittering too ~ I'm with Laura on her favorite activities, but I need to add ~ texting friends, facebook frittering, and getting lost frittering in craft stores (my favorite of all). HeLp!!!

Have a lovely day frittering!
Your FF ~
Katie

Sheryl Dickinson said...

LOL! This post made me laugh. I'm guilty of frittering too. My number 1 frittering activity would be surfing the net. It seems to go in cycles, though so at least I don't constantly fritter, lol! Thanks for the smile today.

Anonymous said...

think y life involves one long list of frittering - i love tetris on my phone, watching horrible bad reality TV, and just about everything else I do..but i choose to own this one - not feel bad about it!!!

Yolanda said...

I could definitely be a member of this.

SandyCarlson said...

I am a fritterer of sorts. I always think I am frittering time away. But sometimes I am actually productive. Not sure!