Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Taking It All In

I apologize for my absenteeism the last few days in Blogland. I had a somewhat busy weekend and then I am involved with an in-service for school to learn all there is and more about Smart Boards (love that name) in 3 very LONG days of training (and broken air conditioner as well). It sounded like a great idea back in February. The reality is: one more high tech hugely expensive gadget to figure out and implement that has WAY too many features to master and no time to do it. I plan to pick up my blog visits again real soon, so thanks for being patient...

This week's prompt for One Single Impression is "assimilate." I purposely try not to look ahead at the prompts until right before I get ready to write or think about my poems. Well, ironically,this prompt hit home in a major way for me, as in the last few weeks I have been really working hard at my mom's going through things and making final decisions as to what to keep and what to sell in the estate sale that was this past weekend. It sounds easy, but not really- especially for someone who is such a sentimentalist and is so attracted to and attached to memories. For me it really is about the memories things evoke. It has been hard to let some things go and difficult to decide what to keep in the family; knowing storage and space issues and constraints. It was hard to see all of my parents things laid out on tables and understanding that their worth could not be expressed by a price tag. I have greater appreciation of what people go through who hold estate sales- it was an emotional experience.
I have unearthed things my mom kept from her mom and grandmother and scrapbooks that my dad had from his WWII days...pictures from the late 1800's and family information that I never knew existed. Lots of tears- yes lots of tears. Tears upon reading the letters my dad wrote my mom when they first started dating and he was getting ready to propose(which she saved for decades) and tears when I came across cards I had made my mom in preschool and letters I had written to them as a senior in high school when I was on the brink of my new life...Sadness that there is no one I can ask and find things out from...and regrets that I didn't take the time when I could have. The end result of all of this is a few things...a new appreciation for documenting family information and...I am now the Keeper of the Family Heirlooms, for which I have re-arranged things and made room in my house for and will now become a part of my life as they were a part of my parents.'

So, yes, "assimilate" has a very personal connotation for me in light of my last few weeks... and here is my simple haiku interpretation for it...


...to some it's just junk
to me it's my parents' world
absorbed into mine

all the "things" are gone
either sold, boxed, or displayed
living on through us...



Thanks for reading and I will get back to Blog Visitation soon!!! Have a wonderful week!

15 comments:

The Dark Lord said...

Simple and beautiful.. conveys a lot of emotions... Loved it!!

SandyCarlson said...

Good luck!

Smart boards are for our math teachers. The rest of us have chalk or dry erase markers that we may not use on the smart boards. Grrr.....

Your post made me smile. I hope you find it all good for you and your teaching.

beth said...

patti...I can only imagine how hard all of this has been for you...and someday I'll be doing the same thing.

an interesting thing I recently learned that I think I'll do when the time comes....I was told to photograph all of my parents things that I can't keep, but don't want to forget about and then fill an album with all those photos...

my thoughts are with you...

Polka Dot Moon said...

I'm sure this was a weekend full of emotions. Your words as always are just lovely. Small verse yet perfectly said.

Thinking of you........
Denise

Jim said...

Hi Patti, yes you have been through a really hard time with your mom's things, I know.
Mrs. Jim still can't bear to give or throw away the last pair of shoes her mom wore for every day. She has said I could do it but I really don't want to either.
In your spare time you could read about her here, starting with the second post down:
http://jimmielife1.blogspot.com/

My mom had quite a few colored FireKing and knock-off-look-alike cups. She always drank coffee from a white one.
I withheld from the auction a set of eight different colors. My klutz brother-in-law dropped the dark green one on the garage floor. I still have the pieces but replaced it with another white one that I could find. I cherish the cups and even the broken green one.

I am sure there will be more tears, I am sorry. Our tears are gone now, I think Adi, my beagle dog, will be the next cause for sorrow around here. Plus I suppose surprises.

It is okay for you not to read this week. I know you have a lot still to get done.
..
This poem you wrote should help you some, my blog writing about my mother-in-law helped me.

Best wishes, I'm pulling for you,
..

gabrielle said...

Living on through you. lovely.

Gemma Wiseman aka Pamela Adams said...

This post is like a beautiful tribute to your parents and all they valued. You have breathed new life into their lives!

Joanne said...

Such an emotional process, but from your words, it seems that we come out all the richer for it.

Tumblewords: said...

Indeed - nicely written!

Ragamuffin Gal said...

I love this post ~ written so beautifully Patti as only you can write it! Your poem at the end is perfect. I'm going to spend the day with my mama tomorrow and I am taking your words to heart ~ thank you so very much! Love, Katie

Susan Tuttle said...

thinking of you dear one:)

Tammie Lee said...

so perfect for this prompt. My heart goes to you, this is such a hard task. So full of emotion and physically a chore as well. I wish you the best as you embrace this time.

Michelle said...

Oh Patti I have so much catching up to do! I'm sure this weekend was very emotional but memories and "things" from our past become our friends after awhile. Such a beautiful poem. Lots of love and hugs!

Michelle

Relyn Lawson said...

I've been absent a lot, too. I know just what you mean. I always call it my summer hibernation. I always seem to go underground for at least a few weeks each summer. Anyway, I'll be thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

I love it Patti. I love that your mom kept it and I love that you will. This all makes me well up too!