Nothing marks the passage of time like a school year. As I get older, this feeling, this marking of time seems to intensify. The kids grow and change through the year and they are not the same people walking out the door as they were walking in. As a teacher, the sense of community is so strong within a classroom and (luckily for me) within my school; like a second family. The struggles, heartaches and joys we have all experienced together through the year has changed and left an indelible mark on us as well. We are not the same people leaving today as we were arriving last August.
Admittedly, I am a sap. I always tear up at graduations when Pomp and Circumstance is played, when retirement speeches are made, as the kids say their good-byes to their teachers, each other and to a school year of their life, when I look around an empty classroom before I turn the light out and shut the door on that last day. Yes, there were tears today, both privately and shared. Goodbyes were said to friends who won't be coming back for retirement, promotion, and job cut reasons, or friends who will hold different positions in the school; and to friends seen on a daily, sometimes hourly basis that will be terribly missed for a couple of months (and yes, of course I will see them this summer). It's sad- especially for someone who doesn't do change well because I know in August things just won't be the same, nope they won't be the same at all.
"Dictionary: de·noue·ment dé·noue·ment (dā'nū-mäN')
also n.
The final resolution or clarification of a dramatic or narrative plot.
The events following the climax of a drama or novel in which such a resolution or clarification takes place.
The outcome of a sequence of events; the end result."
a graduation
end of one chapter of life
to begin anew
have to say good-byes
inevitable changes
hard to acknowledge
The prompt for this week at OSI is denoument. Stop by and see others' interpretations of this prompt as well.
9 comments:
we burn like the wax on a candle .. but darkness is not the denoument..
.. the burning is ..
for the sensitive expressions of ur poem .. many thanks ..
Our last day was last Wednesday and I was a sap! I tear up at everything!
Enjoy every bit of your summer :) and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your fabulous photos!
Denise
I hear it. I see it in my own difficult, dysfunctional, and angry kids. As much as they said they didn't like it, they craved the familiarity, the routine, the teachers to kick around....It was a kind of love. They knew it to be so. I only hope the lesson of love fills the lonely moments of summer.
I know what you mean about the sense of sadness. I'll get that feeling at certain wonderful times too, Christmas maybe, or a terrific family outing. A sadness maybe at how fleeting certain times are, and a poignancy at great days and events coming to an end, as though we'd like them to go on forever! So it's a good sadness, in a way. Enjoy your summer off!
I cry at all that "growing up and leaving" stuff, too !
and now enjoy your summer sweetie !!!
Congratulations on a year well-done, Patti!
And I liked your poem. Change is so necessary and often so drama-filled...
Hope you will have a great summer in your cottage--wish we could visit each other's...or maybe we should give each other a photo tour of our homes and gardens!
awwww Patti,
Sending you a big hug! Enjoy your summer!
Sincerely,
Angelica
Oh I remember the last days of school...I loved it!! :)
Your poems must come out of you naturally, Patti. Great poem today!
Lots of hugs,
Michelle
You know, I cry on the last day of school. Have every single year I've taught. This post is such a perfect picture of teaching. The coming summer is so exciting and needed, but sad, too. I know just what you mean. Here's to a great summer for you and yours.
Post a Comment