Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I Love A Rainy Day


There's just something about a cloudy rainy day that I just adore; especially in the summer. I think it might be the cozy factor- it's the perfect time to light candles, put on some pretty music and hunker down inside. I also think it gives me permission to skip the outdoor things planned and let me just stay indoors. I also enjoy hanging out on the front porch during the rain or in the back sunporch...kind of feeling like you are out in the weather without actually being IN it; the best of both worlds. Today is one of those days- if it weren't almost July- here in Chicago- it would be the perfect fall day. Temperatures are cool, almost chilly, and it's really gray. Maybe if I'm lucky it will drizzle or rain!
This week's prompt at One Single Impression is Blue Rain. This is my interpretation of the prompt- please visit the site so see others' interpretations as well.

Some people
may feel blue on a rainy day
Not me...
I love the particular energy
and feeling
my world gets before the rain...
a silent pause
as if something is going to happen...
Then it starts...
I open the door,
light a few candles to decrease the descending gloom,
listen to the raindrops
as they whisper-splash to the earth...
sometimes softly...sometimes not
and drink in the damp smell
of my now water-soaked world
as I watch,
cozily,
from the inside

What are your feelings on rainy days?

15 comments:

Tumblewords: said...

I love the rainy day feelings you've written here - I usually feel rushed by rain/snow and fully relax in the sun. I'll try to remember your cozy words when next the sun drops away!

Polka Dot Moon said...

I love to read on a rainy day.......

Hmmm....two things wrong with that statement. No rain here for who knows how long and I just can't seem to replace my Twilight Series. Sigh......

(have you been watching the Bachelorett??)

beth said...

I'm also loving this cloudy day of ours with sweatshirt wearing temps !

Joanne said...

The same as you, love them, love it when nature finds a way to quietly slow us down, to keep us in the moment, senses tuned, appreciating life. Sunny and hot here on the East coast today!

gabrielle said...

I too drink in these lovely quiet times. You've captured the contemplative moment so beautifully.

The Dark Lord said...

Wonderful post! Makes one long for one of 'em "rainy days"! Beautiful poem, full of warmth and positive vibes...

lissa said...

lovely especially the ending, I like rainy days but not always, sometimes I prefer a cloudy day instead

ps, thanks for your visit

SandyCarlson said...

You speak for me, too, on this one. We have had plenty of such cozy days.

I really like the look of electric light in a house on a rainy day. So welcoming.

if said...

I agree with you in all you have said about rainy days...I am a fan of it too!

Jeeves said...

Lovely

JUST ME said...

I love rainy days as well just not on my days off.

Just Kidding Patti,

Have a great 4th and I was just checking the weather and looks like thunderstorms tomorrow.

Peace to you my friend and wow the cards down below. A lot of work put into them.

Angelica

Geraldine said...

I love rainy days too! We are in a heat wave right now, here in Interior BC, Canada. Monday is forecasting rain, I say: BRING IT ON!

Great work, loved reading this.

Thanks for stopping by MPP too.

Hugs, G

Relyn Lawson said...

I love this post. And, I love how you described the rain and the cozy factor. I too so much love the rain.

Quiet Paths said...

I know just what you mean; especially during the summer it is a quiet gift.

Anonymous said...

nice one !! enjoyed the verse and the pic :)