Think of the different walls people build for themselves to hide behind. I know of quite a few people in my life who live behind these walls either some of the time or constantly; by choice or unconsciously. I know I am guilty of it at times- when I am not outwardly wearing my emotions for all to see (which is most of the time)."Walls" is the prompt at OSI this week. To see others' take on this prompt, please visit OSI.
What if the wall you put up
and exist behind
could suddenly come down?
This wall...
made of attitude,
forced cheerfulness,
indifference,
secrecy,
unavailability,
and status...
is obvious to us.
Is it obvious to you?
Sometimes a hole in the wall opens a little
and lets us peek at
who you really are...
instead of who you pretend to be...
Let us help you
dismantle this wall; brick by brick...
so you can be all you were meant to be
Don't you realize the love will still be there
even if the wall is not...
18 comments:
oh yes...I like this!
I like this too. Brick by brick they sometimes go up in life, and can come down the very same way, with relief!
My favorite time to spend with someone is when we each let our vulnerabilities show through. Everyone has them and it is nice to comfort one another and even laugh about them.
maybe I should put a few walls up, as I tend to be more of a door, with a come on in attitude which isn't always the best way to be...
something to think about those walls you speak of...
Patti ~ This poem really struck a chord with me and I think you are a wonderful poet (and friend). I hope this week is blessing you big time and that you are having a great summer vacation so far!
~Katie
Very nice Patti -- What if I like my walls? I like to say "what you see is what you get" but just as often I don't want people to be able to read me (figure me out).
Those times peope are welcome to some peeps if you can find a knothole.
..
Oh, to know such love!
Ah, very nice! What if? Indeed, this is very nice!
.. a simple wonderful poem ..really liked it! ..
Really neat thoughts here! I love what if's such as these.
Oh, to take those walls down! There is tremendous comfort in the thought that others see and want to help.
Very nice one.
Ahh!! without the walls!! the beauty is blinding.
Oh wow, Patti...this certainly hits home with me. I definitely have a certain wall up I'm finding hard to take down. Great, great poem!!
Beautifully done..I specially liked the way of your interpretation...
My first visit here...awesome blog!!
I think emotional walls go up for various reasons, so I like the idea of this poem -- of people knowing themselves well enough to know if the walls they construct still serve them, or perhaps they might come down (in whole or part).
Very nice poem. It is very true that we all leave behind the mask and we find it extremely difficult to live without it.
Ain't it true that we need each other to help us with this dismantling? If nothing else, then as witness, a powerful piece in itself.
Thank you, dear Patti.
Post a Comment