Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Learning to Listen








With so much going on in my mind lately

I've had trouble hearing my Inner Voice

until I heard the scream...

"LISTEN TO ME" it yelled

so I did...

It told me in no uncertain terms

that I needed to

renew, recharge, and reconnect with myself

So I packed up all my cares and woes (and books and crafts)

and went to The Lake

by myself

where everything is clearer;

the air, the water,

my thoughts...

After a few days of being blissfully alone~

just my Inner Voice and me~

conversing back and forth...

I've come to the conclusion

THIS was exactly what I needed.

I don't know how tomorrow will go,

but I feel much stronger

and more grounded to deal with it;

at least for today.

My Inner Voice was so much happier and calmer

that I had to strain to hear the words

"Thank you- we needed that."

This poem was inspired by the prompt "Inner Voice" over at One Single Impression. To see other poems, please visit the site.
Thank you all for the kind comments and words on my situation I have going on. It is a family matter and those tend to get sticky and are not real clear cut, which this is turning out to be. It is making me nervous, edgy, distracted, and sad, and probably will not be solved for a long time if not ever.



I did take myself to The Lake for 3 wonderful days. I have only spent an overnite here and there by myself but have never been there that long alone. I have to say...I liked it. No expectations or demands but my own. I read, took long walks, went to the beach, shopped, watched movies, stamped and cross stitched. It really was a gift to be able to do this and one that I really, really needed.
Of course while I was there, 2 very dangerous criminals who had escaped from the Michigan City Prison were still on the loose in the Indiana /Michigan area and I had visions of them hiding in the woods across from our place...that sure didn't make it easy to sleep at night.
As soon as I got home, we left for a few days at a soccer tournament in Rockford, so I am finally feeling like I am catching up on things around home from last week. Hope you all have a wonderful week!














23 comments:

Joanne said...

OMG, I just love that monarch elephant, so charming! Glad you took time for yourself, it's so important to do from time to time, in some way. A little r & r to recharge.

Polka Dot Moon said...

Glad you could get away for a couple of days. :)

I would've been a bit spooked about the "break out" as I've seen WAY TOO many scary movies!

Who do you think Jillian will pick???? My TV cut out last night due to some wind/storms......

SandyCarlson said...

That voice--friend, foe, self!

Anonymous said...

Your inner voice had some great advice. Sounds like a lovely time to me.

Jim said...

Patti, I am glad you did this! And a little bit envious. And your poem was so well written and attention demanding.
Listen to your inner voice, it is telling either what you really want to do or what you know you should do.
That isn't much help is it? But add three days and you can sort things out a whole lot.
..

beth said...

alone time is an amazing gift we need to give to ourselves far more often than we do...

I don't know what the issues at hand are...but my thoughts are with you !

ps...my bff just bought a house in stevensville, mi...do you know where that is ?

Michelle said...

Wow, Patti...I really need to do that. Go somewhere on my own. I admire that you just packed up and went! I really do need recharging soon!! I loved the poem...rings true in my mind for sure. I LOVE those vintage signs by the way!!

Bobbie said...

I like your inner voice! Nice writing. :)

Mary said...

Very nice, very insightful, great advice for us all. Going someplace so beautiful can only be good for the ears of the soul!

if said...

I am sure you will connect more with your inner voice in that beautiful and peaceful places.....!

Geraldine said...

This is just lovely Patti! 3 days at the lake sound wonderful, right about now (its sweltering hot, in BC) but I don't like the part about the escaped prisoners!!! :<(


Glad you are home safe and sound.

I've added you to my blogroll, as of today.

Hugs, G

Relyn Lawson said...

Oh, good for you. Good, good, good for you!! You needed that. I know you needed that. Does it sound silly to say that I'm proud of you for taking care of yourself like that?

Relyn Lawson said...

One more thing. I LOVE that elephant. LOVE HIM!!

Am dreaming of having him moved to my classroom to be our class pet.

poefusion said...

I love that elephant picture. It's way cool. Glad you were able to take the time needed to recharge. Sometimes it's nice to be alone, to think.

Side note: Did you get to meet Johnny Depp too? Or, was it just your friend. How cool it was that you got to watch that being filmed and your friend being an extra... Wow~ Have a great night.

gabrielle said...

I'm so glad you listened to your inner voice even though she had to raise the decibel level.
Wishing you well with your family situation. I have been travelling this road for a long time. Not an easy path, but a powerful teacher.

Jeeves said...

Nice one

Anonymous said...

beautiful

zoya gautam said...

hi patti ,

great post! .. many thanks for this spirited poem ..

JUST ME said...

Sorry I have been missing, hope all is well with you Patti.

You have my e-mail if you need to vent.

I am sure going to the lake did wonders. How serene.

You take care of yourself and I will be back soon. Hang in there!

Thinking of you,

Angelica

Tumblewords: said...

I love it when my voice tells me something to do that works as well as your 'away' did for you! Sounds marvelous - the elephant photo is super!

SandyCarlson said...

Came back for another read. I am glad you and the voice made peace. Love the butterfly wings inside the elephant ears.

Ragamuffin Gal said...

Patti ~
So glad you got away for yourself. Your poem is lovely and that elephant..Oh he is divine! Your posts are amazing gal! Keeping you in my heart! XO
Katie

Patois42 said...

What a fabulous poem. And how wonderful you were able to get away (and, perhaps most especially, not encounter the escapees).