Saturday, July 25, 2009

Sweet Escape




"Summer afternoon... to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." — Henry James

Don't you just love to soak up the feeling of a summer afternoon? You know the kind I mean...where the light is bright and pure, the breeze light... flies and bugs making up the droning background sound as puffy clouds scatter in the cerulean sky. Nothing to do but perhaps grab a book and favorite beverage and head to the outdoors to revel in the perfect weather. That is one of my favorite ways to spend a summer afternoon. When I tire of that (?!), I have the perfect place to go...right in my backyard! We have a sunporch adjacent to our detached garage out behind our house. I've made it my own (much to Mike's distress of course) complete with wicker furniture, a rug, pillows, lots of twinkle lights, antique pieces, fountains, crafty stuff, curtains, and even a mini fridge. Mike built a frame with picket fencing and a screen panel that is attached to the garage, so there is a screen door and the room can be closed off to the outside. It is the perfect place to wile away the time- feeling like you are away from the house but still close.





It is cozy and quaint (MY requirements for anything home related) and an awesome spot to host Girls Night- very private- a place where we can talk and laugh without really disturbing anyone- which is what I did the other night. All the twinkle lights were enough illumination and as the night came down around us; it was the perfect place to be~
Where is your summer escape?







7 comments:

Bella Heart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Delena said...

Your retreat is lovely. Nice to have a place for reading, crafts etc. decorated so pretty. My summer piece of paradise is our one room log cabin with huge windows that give us wonderful views of our forest property. When it rains I love listening to the sound on the tin roof. We have tv internet and a wood stove in the cabin and we love it!

beth said...

love it love it love it....
anything with twinkle lights gets my vote as the best place ever !!!

Joanne said...

What a beautiful space you have in your life! I love twinkle lights on porches like this, such charm. Your porch would rate "off the charts" in my Summer Porch Series, just gorgeous.

Susan Tuttle said...

You never have to leave home to get away -- i LOVE that! What an awesome summer retreat.

:)

Relyn Lawson said...

That is one of my favorite quotes. Looks like you've been living it lately. Good for you! I'd like my summer escape to be to one of your Girl's Nights. Till then - my summer escape is always a walk along the Oregon coast. I don't get there every summer, but I need to. Oh, I need to.

JUST ME said...

What a great place to just hang out at and enjoy a peaceful evening....

Hope you are having a wonderful summer Patti!

angelica