Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Stranger



I'm up and I'm down
dissatisfaction turns to
flow into pure joy

confused and unsure
I'm a stranger to myself
feelings I can't explain


*****************************************

I thought I knew you
Things are not the way they seem
Why the sudden change?

Can't undo what's done
Your actions tore me apart
Want the way it was

******************************************

The cities teem with them...

Strangers

shrouded in the "shuns"

of dejection and rejection

as they shuffle-glide

down the streets and alleyways

eyes cast downward

with nary a glance to a passerby

except maybe to silently plead...

"Please- validate my existence?"

While the hordes from the suburbs

mindful of the strangers' dangers

their mothers' voice chiding in their heads

"walk quickly and don't look at them"

cross to the other side of the street

as if that action

negates the strangers' existence

forgetting that

everyone has a story to tell.




These 2 haiku and free verse were inspired by the prompt "Stranger" at One Single Impression. For more poetry, please visit their site.

16 comments:

Joanne said...

Wonderful verse here. I like the message in the last one, the stories that really are everywhere you look. But that's the clue, our eyes and hearts have to be open to them.

Quiet Paths said...

Well done here; those last few lines of the long poem definitely have much to say.

poefusion said...

Do we ever really know ourselves? Your poems make one ponder this question. Well written Patti.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. Greatly appreciated. Have a nice day.

SandyCarlson said...

The strangers withing, the strangers without. Perhaps we seek others to find ourselves.

Tumblewords: said...

Thoughtful pieces. Strangers reside in each of us, I think...and stories, too!

The Dark Lord said...

Awesome.. Specially liked the second one.. a strong message conveyed..The last two lines of the second verse, in them, have quite a tale to tell.. a lament on the injuries of ignorance..

Jeeves said...

Liked all of them....

Polka Dot Moon said...

Patti, these are wonderful as usual!

Maybe I'll catch you on the next swap....stay tuned ;) and I didn't get to watch Jillian give Wes the boot! Darn! It will be interesting to see who she chooses........stay tuned for more drama!

Geraldine said...

Everyone does have a story to tell. I like your interpretations of this prompt, well done. I couldn't come up with anything for OSI this past week. :<(

Hugs, G

JUST ME said...

Patti,

I agree with Michelle Johnson, do we really ever know ourselves? I am 40 and seriously I was telling someone that I feel like I am going through some kind of mid life crisis....

What is going on... at 40 I should know what I want and who I am and I don't understand this turn around..

It's definitely crazy and confusing.

sweet peace to you Patti.

Angelica

gabrielle said...

Isn't that what we each yearn for? to be heard, seen, valued. great takes on the prompt.

Anonymous said...

I'm a stranger to myself

Glad some one explored this idea !! loved reading you :)

Sherri B. said...

The first one really spoke to me...and the last one spoke very honestly of a sad reality. Very well done!

blushing rose said...

I cannot find a 'follower' link to join you. Love the post. TTFN ~Marydon

Michelle said...

Hmmm...can definitely relate to the first two. Great haiku!

Susan Tuttle said...

very powerful stuff here -- thank you so much for sharing with us:)