Sunday, August 23, 2009

My "Allowance"

As always, good things always come to an end and, since I go back to school tomorrow, it is time to say Goodbye to Summer and all of its frivolities. Good-bye to the feeling of unlimited hours of just doing what I want with no time constraints attached. Good-bye to the sweet Sunday night feeling of knowing there was nothing to really get up for on Monday morning. Good-bye to the endless meeting of friends for breakfasts or lunches. Good-bye to sitting outside in the warm sunshine and leisurely reading my day away and cloud watching. Good-bye to the memories created during sun-washed days and firefly lit nights...

For me, the new school year marks the passage of time more than New Year's Day does, so this is when I tend to make my "resolutions" or goals. This year's personal main goal or theme is Endless Summer. I want to make sure that I make time for the things that I enjoyed the most during the summer. It's so easy to get caught up in the schedules and routine and lose sight of the wonderful feelings that some of my summer activities invoked. Just because the school year has started doesn't mean I need to give up on some of the activities and feeling that I have had during my time off. I always feel so fortunate to have a career that allows this time off. To be able to spend my days with family and friends and creative pursuits; for that, I am truly lucky !

In fitting with the prompt at One Single Impression of "allow, here is my haiku interpretation for that prompt. Please visit the site for other poets' interpretations of the prompt as well.

I'll allow myself
feelings of endless summer
though my summer's gone


hold onto feelings
of carefree days and whimsies
to do as I wish


as days grow shorter
remember summer's pleasures
to enjoy once more




18 comments:

beth said...

"allowing ourselves" is a very good thing !

Jim said...

I don't want to go
the kids all hate me--got to
go you're the teacher
please save some time for blogging
we enjoy your lovely poems
..
Patti, your Mr. Linky link is wrong and it won't get us here.
The link has a '%' sign in it. I got here from last week's Mr. Linky.
..

JUST ME said...

Patti,

Wishing you the best of luck to you.

May this be a great year for you and that your students be angels.

I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

I have something for you so if you can when you get a chance pls send me your address.

Peace to you and enjoy!

Rebecca said...

Glad you had such a wonderful Summer...it sounds like it anyway. I hope you have a great school year.
Blessings
Rebecca

SandyCarlson said...

Good luck today, Patti! I will keep your poem in my heart as I, too, return to school. I enjoyed this as well as the photos.

Jim said...

Patti, I should have said that I taught for 22 years, then retired.
I learned pretty quickly that the best part of teaching is summer:
1. if the teacher can have a summer class it means extra pay; and
2. if the teacher can afford it there is time for travel to some very nice places regular working people can't take the time to visit.

Right? Have a nice year!
..

Quiet Paths said...

I know where you are coming from since my husband works at the school as the Tech Admin. but used to teach 2nd grade for several years. The verses were right on; great post.

Amias (ljm and liquidplastic) said...

I hope this school year bring you joy, as I so respect and love teachers, they are some of my favorite folks in the whole world.

I can relate to your poem, as this summer I really allowed myself to enjoy me.

Tumblewords: said...

Oh, yes!! These are beautiful and inspirational...

Polka Dot Moon said...

All the best to you as you embark on another school year!

We are just starting week three and I have somehow "volunteered" for too many school projects! I sometimes have a hard time saying no!

Have a fabulous week Patti :)
Denise

Jeeves said...

All the best. Enjoyed this post

The Dark Lord said...

Ah.. to have an endless summer all year round.. Wistful thinking, I know, but as you said, with a careful (and rather wise) tweaking of our schedules and routines, we could sort of recreate that rejuvinating environment, that would balance our hectic and draining days...
Wish you loads of luck for the ensuing school days, and hope you manage to create that "perfect" schedule to balance "work" with your other cherished activities..

Susan Tuttle said...

a set of noteworthy resolutions:) -- thank you for sharing Patti and have a great start to the school year.

Geraldine said...

Nicely done! I love Autumn so the end of summer doesn't really bother me. I know a lot of people who hate to see it end though. I like what you've done with this prompt too.

Hugs,G

Michelle said...

Patti I loved this post! Great goal as well. We can make summer everyday of the year if we want, right? :)

xoxo

Tammie Lee said...

Summer is a lovely time. A season that holds many memories. Your poem is lovely.

Relyn Lawson said...

September (now August) is my new year, too. I guess it is the same for every teacher. By now you've begun. I hope that you are not filled with the usual back to school exhaustion. I hope that your kids are marvelous and fun and spunky. I hope that you are having a terrific start. Thinking of you.

zoya gautam said...

..as the catchphrase goes -

these are 'cool' ..