Back To School...3 words that parents often love to hear, but teachers...not always so much. I have made it through my first week back to school and summer is just a vague memory. It is funny that so much occurs in the first few days with meetings and room readiness, technology overload and re-connecting with so many people, one truly forgets what it ever felt like to be off.Back to the old routine...
Anyway- this post is inspired by a few different things. A couple of weeks ago, Molly and I went downtown to Chicago- just took the train for the day- and walked around taking pictures. It was a great time. I love the skyline and capturing pics of buildings (weird I know) and one of my favorites is the Adventures in Babysitting building- click on the green to see the building I am referencing (a movie in 1987 where Elizabeth Shue is clinging to the side of the building). I loved that movie and think about it every time I see the building. Ironically I came to find out the next day that my friend has his office in the same building and referred to it as such. Thinking about the idea for this week's prompt- blue -totally led me to think about the song from the movie "Babysitting Blues" (click here to see it) and I couldn't pass up my "version"of it. So... picture a dimly lit basement Blues bar and a frazzled, tired and harried teacher at the microphone belting out her woes...( mentally insert blues guitar riff -na NA-NA-na- after each line..and a rockin' blues refrain). Education...gotta laugh about it...
Here's my interpretation of the prompt "blue (s)" from One Single Impression
Back to School Blues
Summer's all over
My vacation is gone
I can't find my supplies
and all my patience is gone
I come home all crabby
And all out of sorts
Then get back in my car to drive my daughter
to all of her sports
I've got the Back to School Blues
And it's so hard....
Getting back into going to school
There is no more "me" time
For the things I want to do
I plan tons of lessons
But plans for dinner- I have no clue
Things are piling up quickly ~
The laundry, bills, and the dust
All I do is play catch up
For those "endless days" I do lust
I've got the Back to School Blues
And it's so hard...
Getting back into going to school
My computer has" issues"
I can't work the software
My class list keeps changing
Adding more kids who don't care
There are too many meetings
And staffings and such
I've been told I had a 12 week vacation,
but I don't remember it much
I've got the Back to School Blues
And it's so hard...
Getting back into going to school
The copiers are down
Now what can be done...
There goes the first few days
of much xeroxed fun
Shaking down all the kids
For their myriad of forms
All the endless organizing of paperwork
has now turned into the norm
I've got the Back to School Blues
And it's so hard...
Getting back into going to school
The decorations keep falling
off of the walls
My room temperature's freezing
Compared to the hall's
I'm trying to use my new Smartboard
Which is smarter than me
It's already "eaten" and deleted some lessons
And I swear is smirking with glee
I've got the Back to School Blues
And it's so hard..
Getting back into going to school
Kids' schedules are wrong
and they're wandering the hall
They are lost getting to class
or just don't show up at all~
The schedules keep changing
field trips and assemblies
I don't know who's coming or going
No more changes please!!!
I've got the Back to School Blues
And it's so hard..
Getting back into going to school
I do enjoy playing teacher
And I work with great aides
But I'm already counting
the days till I get paid
It's still only August
It's not even officially fall
I think I'll make it to June,
but it will be a long haul!
I've got the Back to School Blues
And it's so hard..
Getting back into going to school
Thanks so much for reading and commenting; it is so much appreciated!!!
23 comments:
Yep; I don't know if it is worse to have the summer off or work through it.
Well, we can be thankful for jobs and weekends!!!
And Tuesday night stitchy nights!
and books!
and stamps!
and friends!!!!
Have a great weekend!!
HeLlo Dear,
Sorry you have the blues ~ when did you start back? I am getting into the grove now and happy to be back and happy for weekends too!
And, you did comment during my give away week and I would love to send you a collage sheet. I am so unorganized at my house right now that I would love if you would send it to me again. Thanks and Happy Saturday!
Katie
I've got the back to school blues too!
The first week is over - 35 more to go - and hopefully then - to Alaska I will go.
I think the first few weeks back to school make us appreciate the summer so much more. It's like going from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds! And on top of that there is a preseason football game on EVERY night at home...ughhh! Enjoy the weekend.
:) Gina
I love it! Great job! ~Brandi
I am a teacher. I enjoyed reading this.. I too have back to school blues!
weeks trample on each other like magazines
I forget every year how hard it is that first week back. My body so quickly adjusts to NOT standing all day long on hard floors. GAH! My feet hurt.
I do hope your year is full of blessings and laughter. And cooperative students.
Love this Patti,
Will you post your pics of downtown soon?
I hope your first week was great. I know we all come home brain tired from work hang in there.
I am glad you are doing good otherwise.
Thinking of you,
Angie
Teachers are saints...going back after a summer off must be tough! I loved your clever take on this prompt; best of luck to you this school year!
I have 2 teachers in my family, my daughter teaches behavioral disorders and my son in law teaches junior high. Both are so good at what they do...it is a tuff job and getting tuffer. I wish you the best this year and I hope you can get into the swing of things fast and enjoy the rewards of what you do.
Blessings
Rebecca
wow! :D
this brought back memories!
A great (albeit a bit sad) interpretation of this prompt.
LOVE the music you have playing on your blog. Our likes are similar, in the music dept. A lot of blogs that feature music turn me off before I read a word. LOL
This sounds like a song and I would enjoy hearing it set to music.
This speaks to me. And then some.
The copier jammed the first time I used it. I am resolved never again to use it.
God bless your school year!
Oh ... you've captured the essence of my working life in your amazing Blues piece making me all the more pleased to be happily retired. Here's wishing you well in this transition ;--)
Hugs and blessings,
Oh Patti, for my last several years before I retired I would say the best part of teaching is summer.
Now of course it is being retired.
Those Smartboards, they were just coming into our school when I left, I never did use one.
..
BTW, I was a business teacher at San Jacinto College in Pasadena, Texas. We are a junior college best known for our basketball teams. I had Sam Cassell and Steve Francis in my classes.
I was there 22 years after I left NASA with 17 on the table.
..
Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for being a part of OSI. I value your contributions.
Weekends are nice! I love this poem - it speaks to the feelings that bury us this time of year!
School blues! Had it in my student days. Nice one
I'm baaackk. Dying to know how it is going. Thinking of you. And of Mollie. Is all well. Do tell.
Just awesome, Patti. Wow!
I understand that ...:)
I enjoyed reading your blues ... sorry you have to go back so soon, as I know, some of the kids make it hard on teachers, whom I have so much respect for.
Here's hoping you find some joy in it .. because it take dedication to be a teacher, as the pay is horrible.
Post a Comment