Thursday, August 20, 2009

There's No Place Like Home

"It's nice to return home each day to something intensely personal." ~ Stanley Barrows

I am a longtime fan of a certain Very Famous Chicago Talk Show Hostess, BUT sometimes I get very frustrated with the tone or topics of her show. Yesterday was an example of this. The show's intention, I feel, was good;updating one's home decorating style, but some of the things said, in my opinion, gave the wrong message. If you caught this episode, you know what I am referring to, but if you didn't- the gist was to not let your home decorating go out of style or be too trendy.
"Ah! There is nothing like staying at home, for real comfort"~ Jane Austen

This topic resonated with me as I believe one's home should be a haven from the outside world where you can feel safe, and also one's home should reflect your interests and loves whether they are trendy or not. So what if you still like peach and green, blue and mauve, geese, borders, dried flowers,plaid, florals, frilly stuff... If it means something to you and you love it- then in my opinion, have it in your house.

My house is not particularly big (which all the houses on renovating shows always seem to be), but it is filled and decorated with the things that make me happy and have personal value to me even if they are a decorating nightmare. According to the Very Cute Decorator, certain things should not be seen in today's homes: dried floral, frilly, stuffed things, too many antiques, cross stitch, border, ceiling fans, walls of wood, and lace curtains (the list continues). I feel the only thing I have going for me is the slip cover on the couch- that's it! And...I don't care! My house reflects my personality and my love of vintage and seasonal and my family is ok with this (notice, Mike's decorating personality is not mentioned- it is plain scary) and that's the ONLY thing that should be important- pleasing yourself (and family) not keeping up with the trends and pleasing others. So below is a "tour" of my Decorating Don'ts in the living room and dining room according to yesterday's show.

Note the knotty pine paneling going up the stairs- there's even more upstairs! Also- is that a dried floral swag above the arch? AND a cross stitch piece?


Uh oh...I spy lace curtains!

Border and a craft piece on the wall (lace made by my sister-in-law)- shame on me! Nobody ever mentioned twinkle lights- I am sure they would be a no-no too~More border in the dining room...
Hmmm...a stuffed bear on piles of books...what WOULD the Cute Decorator say about that?
Lots of florals and lacy frilly stuff abound- including a fairy or two... or three... And what about the grapvine tree with dried flowers and twinkle lights???

Not only is the writing desk an antique but so is the hobnail glass piece and lamp


So- this is my home; more shabby than chic, and I enjoy coming home at the end of the day and spending time here; it's cozy and comfortable and makes me happy. Even though it is not decorated in the trendiest style and colors- it is me and I love it!

What do you love most about your home?

"By home, we mean a place in which the mind can settle… a refuge to which we flee in the expectation of finding those calm pleasures, those soothing kindnesses, which are the sweetness of life." ~ James Bean






On a side note, today was Molly's 1st day back to school as a sophomore!!! Don't let the happy smile fool you- she was NOT thrilled to be going back~

8 comments:

beth said...

she totally fooled me with that smile :)

and that oprah and nate episode {geez I love him} was a repeat that was playing in the background yesterday so I know exactly what show it was....

and I agree with you !

you totally made me laugh though...a swag, some lace curtains....cripes, you'd be picking up oprah off the floor if she came into your house and for that I say that you're the winner living with all the things that make you happy and warm that would make her have heart irregularities...

she isn't always my favorite person !

Polka Dot Moon said...

Well lets see....I've got Grandma's Blue & Avocado floral "sofa" in my living room along with an old leather chair & ottoman of hers, a primary colored toy/storage bin area, bookcase, fish tank and oh yes, my computer and table!

I'll just leave you with that ;)

We have back to school night tonight and this is our 2nd week of having a 2nd Grader!
If only the heat would subside all would be good!!

Thanks for the lovely comments too :)
Denise

Michelle said...

Oh Patti, your house is breaking ALL the rules. I LOVE IT!! I totally agree with you, this is a reflection of you. There are no rights or wrongs when it comes to something this personal. Ugh..well, you read my soapbox post. ;)

Great post and very well put!!

xoxo

Michelle

JUST ME said...

Make your home what you want it to be who the heck cares what others think! If your happy with it then enjoy!


Angelica

Delena said...

I agree with you. A home is what defines you and who cares what is "in" and perfect etc. etc. You have inspired me to do a post of my home which is extreme and down sized from our former home. I will post it next week when I have time to get some pictures together. Loved your post!

Kate McD said...

I totally agree with. I am a collector - I know it. And everything I have is special to me usually because it came from family or friends. And tough I am not giving up my many many candles or my handmade blankets.

You, again, have a gift with words. I love your house. I feel welcome and cozy and comfortable and I would not change one thing!

Katie

Geraldine said...

What a great post! I also saw that TV show re: decorating and I agree with what you say here.

Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home. Truer words were never spoken.

Hugs, G

Relyn Lawson said...

I love this post. And, I love your home. It is comfortable, welcome, and pretty. Like you. I agree, too, that a home should be full of what we love. It's ours, after all.