Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Increasing My Vocabulary

I love when I can learn a new word and add it to my vocabulary. My "Word Du Jour" is copse: a thicket of small trees or bushes; a small wood. I did not know that nor have I ever heard of this word before, so there you go. Copse is the prompt at One Single Impression this week, so please check out others' interpretations of this prompt.

traipsing through the copse
I looked down and there it was
the face of nature

This picture was taken last week by my husband while on a walk through the woods- loved it!!!!





entering under the canopy of leaves
transported into
a verdant sanctuary
with shafts of distilled sunlight~
abundant with
the sounds of
twigs crackling and breaking
somewhere close by the burbling of the "crick"
the distant cries of birds and others
the whining and whirring of the unseen
a language all their own~
a log ancient with time
but teeming with a self-contained world
leaves and copse
representing every shade of green imaginable
the myriad of woodland creatures that call this place home
have allowed a glimpse into this parallel universe

9 comments:

Sherri B. said...

This was so lovely! There's something magical, yet comforting, about being in the woods with nature. I loved the 'tree face'...kudos to your husband for capturing that shot. :~)

The Dark Lord said...

Loved the verses.. They were a wonderful read.. and the photos compliment them perfectly!

Michelle said...

Patti, I love this poem! I see an owl in that tree stump and thanks for the new word of the day! I've never heard of that word before. :) Now I can use it and sound intelligent. Lol!

xoxo

Michelle

Tumblewords: said...

It is a parallel universe, isn't it? Such a feeling of wonder and wellness you imparted in your lovely words and gorgeous photos. The first 'face' is awesome!

Jim said...

Patti, reading this was lovely; it was like following your walk through that copse. You wanted us to have that feeling from your words, which were rather abstract. If you were seeing anything I missed visualizing I would not have known.
Your poem seemed like a work of art with words where the viewer/reader are to fill in the details.

From the reading I feel you were in such a place at one time and these are your memories from that combined with the expectations you had then regardless of what you actually found.
..

Anonymous said...

Just lovely, Patti. We seem to see the beauty in the same places.

That is a very clear tree face.

beth said...

I see the face...it looks a bit like a turtle to me...and the words....beautiful !

Jeeves said...

Lovely...lovellyy

SandyCarlson said...

Sure did enjoy that, Patti! Wow. A tree is a world unto itself. And a copse is its own universe.

I love the face in the tree. I have a friend who runs and who is a photographer, and he did a wonderful series of tree faces. He called them spirits. They were wonderful, like yours. Thanks for sharing your great work.