Sunday, August 2, 2009

Looking Through


I am fascinated with windows and the concept of them- the glimpses of life one can get by peering through. This week's prompt at One Single Impression is windows, so below are my interpretations on that prompt. Please visit the site for other poems about this prompt as well.




our thoughts and actions
are windows to our real selves
clear, cracked,missing panes


curtained or shaded
lets others see who we are
opened up or closed
*******************************




there's just something about an old house
that beckons me toward it~
even though it stands neglected
with ivy up the walls and weeds and grass overgrown
~enticing me to take a peek into the windows;
missing or grimy, cracked or intact....
to look through those windows is to
look into the heart and soul of the house...
and I can't help but wonder...
what happened to cause it to fall into its disrepair?
what were its joys and heartaches?
who once loved this house and called it "home?"
who once looked through these windows?
what dreams did they have?
what did they see?
why did they leave?
I can't help but wonder...
but I'll never know




*********************************************
old, abandoned barn
sitting alone in the middle of a dead cornfield
sign says "keep out- no trespassing
but I don't follow it- that sign's not for me
peeking inside
nothing moves
broken down machinery
at permanent rest in a shaft of broken sunlight
my heart quickens
as
way up high on a window ledge under the rafters
a bird stirs
life is here after all


The above poem is inspired by my daughter's walk last weekend at the lake. She discovered the barn and went on inside to take pictures; a girl after my own heart.
















16 comments:

Sherri B. said...

Houses are nothing but outer shells to contain what lies inside, just like people. I really loved your take on this prompt, and also the photographs!

Polka Dot Moon said...

Your words are amazing and so true! Love them all and the pictures were fabulous too! Your daughter has a creative eye :)

Amias (ljm and liquidplastic) said...

I truly enjoyed this series of poems, but it was a hard read, as the font was small and almost meld into the background.

Then I remembered that I could read it in the comment mode ...

SandyCarlson said...

I love what you've written here. Your take on windows is perfect. I also wonder about abandoned houses. I wonder about the moment of abandonment, primarily.

Bobbie said...

Wonderful writing, all of it! Great take on this prompt.

Delena said...

Patti,

What a concidence! Friday I posted a picture (on my picture of the week sidebar) of the view outside one of my cabin windows. I too love to drive in the country and I see old houses. I say to myself, "That house was someones dream, and now it sits empty".

Jim said...

Windows are put to see out and to let light in without the elements entering. I am glad they are put because we on the outside can see in to catch glimpses of the inner lives.
I especially liked the old barn tale. Good for your daughter, she is brave. I am glad that the old barn has been recycled by nature's friends too.
..

gabrielle said...

homes sitting empty, eyes vacant. what stories they have to tell.

loved the line "keep out- no trespassing. but I don't follow it- that sign's not for me”

Hello in there. Hello.

gautami tripathy said...

Each window speaks of different stories..

white curtains bellow from open window


Please don't forget to post your creative works at Monday Poetry Train Revisited too!

Quiet Paths said...

Your whole post is such a rich stroll through the prompt. I like the thoughts on window panes and old buildings. Wonderful ideas!

Tumblewords: said...

I watched a program, 'If Walls Could Talk' where the history of a few old houses was recorded by the layers of wallpaper and such...fascinating to dream and think about what happened in 'this very spot'. I love your walk about here and the photos are superb!

one more believer said...

abandoned houses always have piqued my curiosity, what story lies within..you have spoken perfectly conveying those very thoughts in such a beautiful poetic fashion... and barns, well that's a whole other story.. love to take pictures of old barns and the stories they hold... glad to have stopped by

Relyn Lawson said...

I do love this post. Your poetry, your photography, your mother love. It's all wonderful. You are all wonderful.

Patois42 said...

Passing by those homes once filled with rejoicing or sadness or at least something. I've done that. You've put it well to words.

zoya gautam said...

thanks for sharing this wonderful post patti ..

beth said...

how did I miss this post ?
these are wonderful patti !
you know how much I love them !!