
Freedom Is Not Free
- Kelly Strong
- Kelly Strong
I watched the flag pass by one day.
A young Marine saluted it,and then he stood at ease.
I looked at him in uniform
So young, so tall, so proud,
He'd stand out in any crowd.
I thought how many men like him
Had fallen through the years.
How many died on foreign soil?
How many mothers' tears?
How many pilots' planes shot down?
How many died at sea?
How many foxholes were soldiers' graves?
No, freedom isn't free.
I heard the sound of TAPS one night,
When everything was still
I listened to the bugler play
And felt a sudden chill.
I wondered just how many times
That TAPS had meant "Amen,"
When a flag had draped a coffin
Of a brother or a friend.I thought of all the children,
Of the mothers and the wives,
Of fathers, sons and husbands
With interrupted lives.
I thought about a graveyard
At the bottom of the sea
Of unmarked graves in Arlington.
No, freedom isn't free.
I found this poem and felt compelled to share it. As you enjoy your weekend, and for many of us, day off, please be mindful of those who worked and fought for us to be the country we are today. Always remember and never forget....freedom does come with a price.
6 comments:
A very thoughtful interpretation of the price of freedom. Thanks for sharing.
Very moving poems. A special day, indeed...I thank all those who fought for our country and freedom. Hope you're having a wonderful weekend, Patti!
thank you for this....
so many of us need the reminder of what this day stands for....
especially our high school kids who only think it's just a day off from school !
Love the image on this post Patti,
Hey have a great week. When do you get out for school break?
Yes, you were right on about the bridge. We were by the river walking and just having fun. I passed by the little stores, but did not stop. Will hopefully do that on Friday.
Peace to you Patti!
thank you for these words that cause me to reflect:)
This is a perfect post for Memorial Day. Or Veteran's Day. Or the Fourth. One of the things I love about you is your loving thoughtfullness.
Post a Comment