Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What's It Like...?

Do you ever get caught up in how you are supposed to act and feel and sometimes deny your true feelings and wants because the consequences might not be very pleasant? Or, even though you are an adult with a vast knowledge base of life and experience to draw on, often lack confidence in yourself? That is how I have been feeling lately. Part of my personality is that I am always second guessing myself about decisions and feelings (I think part of that is being a Pisces as well- we are notorious for that). I would like to be the Confident One- sure of herself shown by her actions and words. I know a few of these people... they set goals, stick to them, and achieve them, they speak their mind, they make decisions and go forth seemingly certain they are in the right. Nope- I am definitely NOT one of those people...

What's it like...

to sail through days and situations
with the absolute certainty and confidence
that you are doing the right thing
instead of always questioning and second guessing
every little thing said or done?

to say and do what you really want to
knowing unfortunately,
the relationship
may be unequivocally changed
because of it
instead of just going through the motions
and always hiding behind
the pleasantries and the supposed-to's?

to have the complete and utter knowledge,
conviction, and trust
that life is unfolding the way it is supposed to be
with reasons for everything
instead of feeling at the mercy
of a master puppeteer who has set you down
all tangled and twisted
while he's gone and taken a break?




This poem was the interpretation of the prompt "What's it like?" for OSI this week. Please visit the other talented poets to see their intepretations of this prompt as well.

19 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh my gosh, Patti this poem really touched me. I can so relate and the words you put together to describe it were so beautiful and yet so real and deep. You are such a wonderful poet!

beth said...

patti...you know what changed for me ??....turning 40!!!....for some reason that number, that year, gave me this jolt of being so damned self assured about myself and life that sometimes it scares me !!!

I hope whatever it is you're going through, that you'll sail through it and look back and smile knowing that you won !!!

Tammy Brierly said...

Hopefully we will one day know the answers but until then we will muddle through.

SandyCarlson said...

I wish I had that confidence. Sure is a wonderful poem. Thanks.

Polka Dot Moon said...

Wonderful poem.

gabrielle said...

I guess my take is that all the things you are and do are good. You question, you dream. Does the dissatisfaction come from a difficulty with following through on anything concrete?

As Beth observed, some of this changed for me as I matured and some of it I have learned to accept as part of my nature.

This was very moving. Thank you for your vulnerability.

JUST ME said...

Patti,

I am 40 now and still second guess my decisions... trying to find myself and wondering if the decision I have made are the right decisions.

Give yourself a break sometimes we need to do that.. GIVE OURSELVES A BREAK....

Sometimes I think life is toooo short, but it's so easy to get caught up in the shoulda, coulda woulda....

Give yourself a break even if it's just for today!

Angelica

Tumblewords: said...

Wonderful! Wouldn't it be great to unfold at the right time, in the right place - nice work!

Susan Tuttle said...

you can be one of those people -- you know in your heart what you want and what is right for you. You can do it, you can!:):)

Jim said...

Hey Patti, your poem tells it like you think you are. I like the put down puppet idea. Often we feel we are just wondering around, you have described it very aptly.

Me? I like to think that I always have a 'Plan B' to fall back on. Mrs. Jim calls it worrying but I feel I must be sort of prepared. In case the puppeteer takes a break? I'm too old to change so that's the way I'll be and I think it's alright.
Of course I don't organize. I think a person with apptitude for accounting organizes. I have the engineer mentality, 'make it work.' (That's my attitude on life, and poetry making too.)

Thank you for peeking in on me, I have fun with the OSI and enjoy reading the others.
..

Beth P. said...

Hi Patti--

Yes,as some of your friends have said, age does help us compensate for our basic lack of confidence--

However, absolute certainty is a rare thing, and probably should be. Philosophically, absolute certainty is a misnomer or worse!

Thank you for this lovely piece, Patti00

Jeeves said...

Wow!!!Really nice one.

gautami tripathy said...

One wonderful poem, Patti!

powdered space

Deborah Godin said...

We've all felt hampered by those strings at one time or another - nicely done!

zoya gautam said...

.. " a master puppeteer who has set you down
all tangled and twisted "

-the only way to understand is to ask ..

wonderful insights .. many thanks ..

The Muse said...

I truly can relate to your work!
Wonderfully done!

Joanne said...

Patti, what a touching poem. I think we've all been there at one point or another. What I've found though, is that following your own heart, though sometimes difficult in regards to relationships, never is wrong and leaves me feeling better, free.

JUST ME said...

Hey Patti,

Are you feeling better today.

Thanks for always leaving me comments you know I appreciate that honestly.

PEACE to you my friend and I hope you found a farmers market somewhere close to you.

Coleen said...

oh yes, I think we all can relate to this poem ...it is what makes us human...even tho we are really spiritual beings having human experiance........I have found that since hitting menopause it has affected my thought processes at times......so, I go to fairyland and play!!!

Heart Hugs,
Coleen