Sunday, May 17, 2009

I Found One!!!

A Farmer's Market that is! Yesterday after reading Angie's post about going to the Farmer's Market in Wheaton, I decided that I wanted to try and find one around here. I love farmer's markets and visited them frequently last summer. After driving around to all the places they were last year and finding nothing, I went home and did a search. It seems like it's too early for the ones in the south suburbs, but the Frankfort one was supposedly up and running, so I thought I would try and go this morning. Mike and Molly left early for Michigan to start the process of opening up our place, so it seemed like a good day to hop in the Jeep and see what I could find on such a beautiful sunny day. As I headed west on Route 30, I got behind a car that had a huge dog in it that was constantly trying to get in the driver's lap. When that didn't work, he would pop his head out the sunroof and look around. We once had a dog that would do that and it really was the funniest thing to see, so this really made me laugh. I ended up behind this car for awhile, before it turned to go to the Frankfort Dog Park. Frankfort is technically the next town over from mine to the west, and parts of it are pretty rural by suburban standards.

















The Farmer's Market sets up in the parking lot of the Village Green with tents, and booths and entertainment, as well as a kid's corner. The Old Plank Trail, a bike and walking trail that spans for miles, actually runs right through this area as well, so it is a pretty busy place. I got there pretty early and not everything was set up yet. There were lots of flower vendors, some jewelry vendors, and some yummy olive oils and tapenades with bread to sample (I got some of these last summer- delicious). Fudge, coffee, shake-ups, and lots of baked goods rounded out the fare. There are some excellent cheese vendors, but not this morning- as well as an absence of the crafts people and purses. That's why I love these Farmer's Markets...a little of everything can be found!!! My only purchase was from the dog biscuit guy and I got some homemade biscuits for the girls. Because I was so early, I didn't stay around, but drove through the downtown before I went home.











Downtown Frankfort is pretty quaint with some antique stores and specialty stores, along with some excellent restaurants; including a very cute tea house based on Little Women characters. They frequently do concerts at night on the Green so it can be a pretty happening place. There used to be a lot more businesses but recently, like everywhere else, the economy has taken its toll. Very sad.

















The houses in Frankfort are to die for. Again, I am pretty conspicuous in my red Jeep snapping pictures even though I try and be discreet. Oh well. Here are a few houses. Lots of gardens, lots of picket fences, old restored farm houses and Victorians and some wonderful porches!


This house used to be a church, but it really looks like it is a residence now. It is stunning!




How did you spend your Sunday?

11 comments:

beth said...

wow...does that ever look wonderful.....and exactly the kind of place laura would love, too !!!

Joanne said...

What a charming place you live in! I'd like to sit on that bench outside the General Store for awhile, in the sun, relaxing. We spent our Sunday taking a ride to a few antique shops, then in the evening went to an Eddie Money concert at a small 300 seat bistro/theater. It was a great day.

The Muse said...

:) :) i can see you ... buzzing about .... oh so discreetly ... LOL .. what fun! your pics show us how lovely the are is, to be sure.

we worked the farm this sunday, only because the weather gave us an opening. it was glorious to be outdoors!

Polka Dot Moon said...

We had a Farmers Market a couple of blocks away when we lived in N. Cal. It was every Thursday and I went every Thursday!! How I miss that.

Love your pictures :)

Enjoy your week!
Denise

Michelle said...

What a fun day! I love Farmer's Market's as well...and those homes and shops and EVERYTHING are too cute for words! I love cute little towns that are quaint. That tea house sounds great..especially based on Little Women. How proper. :)

Sheryl Dickinson said...

You really got a good feel for the town through your photos! I can just see you in your red Jeep being inconspicuous! lol

Island Style said...

Cheers to your score..I'm recovering from my back going out..but I managed to clean out my filthy fridge, floors and what not! (catch up) That's what I did this past weekend. Lucky I was ok for a scenic Sunday I spent out of town on Mothers' day!
Hey, thanks for your comments on my poetry bloggy! Much appreciation-
All your photos captured your fun outing. Regards-

tobie said...

YAY!!!!!!!!! FUN FUN FUN!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the great pics PATTI!

Angelica

Rajesh said...

Very beautiful snaps of Frankfort. Looks like you had very good time.

Relyn Lawson said...

WOW!! These images are wonderful. I do want to come for a visit. I really do.

Relyn Lawson said...

I know I was here a few days ago, but I had to tell you again how wonderful these pictures are. The one of the tree with the broken fence makes my heart beat faster.