The school year is finally winding down and extra activities and the "other stuff" that accompnies this time of year is in full swing. Looking at OSI's prompt for this week; tolerance, really made me stop and reflect about what I do throughout my day and why I do it- especially during this "super-charged" time of year.
My day is filled to bursting with tolerance ...
with a room full of kids that can not make it in other classrooms
It's trying to help those whose parents won't or can't
it's trying to look past the anger management issues
and the heart breaking family lives
the constant, consistent, often lifetime of failures
the total social inappropriateness
the hyperactivity and hypo-motivation
the anxieties and the phobias
it's trying to look past what angers or bothers me
and realize sometimes it can't be helped- it's who they are
it's trying to "dis" the many "dis"abilities
and focus on the abilities instead
to look past their quirkiness and differences...
to try and look into the imaginations and hearts and minds of these teens
sharing laughter and joking with those who are usually laughed at
it's acceptance of who they are and where they came from
and to help them get there...where ever "there" is
trying to instill a level of respect not only for others, but for themselves
pride in themselves and their successes
and to let them know they matter
not always liking them,
but always ( ok, usually) tolerating them
not because it's my job...
but because I care.
18 comments:
Beautiful! You've made me tear up -- I'll have to get you back for that. . .
As a teacher, I relate..
Love it Patti! Well said!!!!
How blessed your students are to have a kind soul in their midst, helping them through their days. Kudos to you.
Sometimes it is our angers that inspire us to take our next step
into more tolerance.
Yes I can tell you care, such a gift your students have in you. Nicely written poem.
It's a tough job. I know what you're saying. My kids are those kids. Hmm.. Good luck and God bless.
You brought tears to my eyes! Well thought, well said! Thanks for sharing more of your beautiful work!!!!
Denise
Focusing on abilities is a wonderful strategy for both the children and for you in building relationships, skills and confidence.
Used to be called tracking. often a self fulfilling prophesy. these kids don’t have many people in their corner. I’m so glad they have you.
What a heartfelt poem!
they are so incredibly lucky to have you !!!
well done
Oh, yes, made me remember my days in the classroom, as the year wound down, and with kids with 'different-abilities'---ah, yes.
Thank you for your patience.
Thank you for your tolerance.
Thank you for caring.
This I can relate. Nice one:D
I sometimes get the impression that 'caring' is a gift many don't ever receive. I admire you for being able to handle these many differences and offer caring and tolerance to each. Great job!
I love this post Patti ~ A true testament to a beautiful heart! Thanks for sharing it with us! Many Blessings,
Katie
I know you must be feeling swamped. I've practically been underground for two weeks for the same reasons. The end of the year is tough. Our last day was Thursday. I'm a free woman now for about 10 weeks. Thank God! I love those little guys and never long for summer. But, I sure could use the rest.
Patti,
Where are you? Hope you are having a wonderful weekend.
My boys get out of school June 5th. I took off that day to be with them and go celebrate another school year gone by.
Peace to you my friend,
Angelica
This...YOU...are what every parent prays for...a GOOD teacher!
Bless you. Every day, all the time. Bless you. We are His hands and His heart to those hurting children. So. Bless you. Again and again.
Post a Comment