When I read OSI's prompt for this week; tactile, I immediately thought of this interpretation based on my experience on the pilgrimage.
Can you feel it?
The pervading history
surrounding every nook and niche
the struggles,
the heartaches,
the sacrifices...
Can you feel it?
The austere, awe-inspiring beauty
erected through
blood, sweat, and tears...
brick by brick~
pane by pain...
Can you feel it?
The mood of the candles flickering~
casting ancient shadows...
transporting us back in time
to how it might have been...then
as full moon light -shining through
the intricately hued glass
casts colored light play on the floor and walls
Can you feel it?
The solemnity and hushed silence...
the collective hearts and souls gathered
all with their own stories
The chanting prayers of groups...
their mellifluous voices quiet as recite their decade
voices that span age groups, melded together and punctuated by
an occasional ethereal
song sung from some hidden balcony
Can you feel it?
The icons and statues
all whispering timeless secrets and mysteries
What do they know....
What have they seen....
as they gaze down on the night visitors~ wanderers, really,
These visitors, who make this journey
wanting only to feel it.
This is for my friend Anne, who wanted to know what I was going to do with the pictures I was taking that night.
15 comments:
hey, i really like your blog, just hoping you could follow me as well? no pressure or anything haha, just trying to build a following. have a great day!
Hi Patti, your poem is sooooo appropriate for this large undertaking. I can hardly imagine being an early settler although I sometimes say that Mrs. Jim and I are 'pioneers' in spirit.
My early anscestors, the Fletchers were such there in Plymouth.
Lovely pictures and poem,
..
Wow. I would have loved to have been with you. I love to sit in old churches and just be.
Please tell me where that last church is with the blue on the ceiling. I want to go there as soon as possible. Thanks.
What a beautiful experience. I've never seen that done here, touring the churches on Holy Thursday, but it seems so intriguing, religious on a different level. Just stunning photos, thanks for sharing.
This is an absolutely amazing idea. I love it. If I ever make it back to Chicago, I'd love to do this with you. Of course, we'll probably be too busy talking to do much looking.
You make it palpable!
Thanks for sharing. I finally went to Church this weekend with my cousin at a church in Oak Park and I was amazed at what beautiful architecture old churches have.
Thanks for sharing Patti!
Angie
Patti,
I love what you did with the pictures and I am so happy you had such a good time. It is an amazing experience and it has become quite the tradition. We love that the kids look forward to it as much as we do. And I have to admit breakfast is a nice touch! Your blog is wonderful! You really are an artistic writer. Each sentence is like pure literature. Thanks for sharing all of your thoughts. And you are sooo lucky to receive such cool gifts! Enjoy!
What a very, very special post. What an experience. Having had a similar experience in Bavaria many years ago in some very old churches I can indeed feel it!
Amazing snaps and nice architecture.
Nice poem and beautiful snaps
Dear Patti!
What a wonderful poem and photos of those beautiful churches.
Pilgrimages (and pilgrims!) come in all sorts of disguises, don't they!
Thanks, dear pilgrim...
..u've captured the feel & the aura of the old churches so well..thank u for sharing this experience ..
Soul and spirit renewed...refreshed...!
You have given me a lovely gift to take with me this weekend...your post has clearly been heavenly inspired!
Post a Comment