Sunday, March 14, 2010

Please Repeat Yourself!

to find out more about the Victorian ear trumpets, please click here


murmur and mumble
two words that are "hard to hear"
as one gets older



A casualty of getting older is that I am finding it harder and harder to hear (oh no!)- especially 13 and 14 years olds who tend to not speak up( but it always amazes them what I DO hear)! I am constantly saying "I'm sorry- can you say that again?" And the worst is when it is repeated and I still don't hear it! UGH! I should have listened when my parents told me not to have the music so loud on the record player...or maybe it's from rocking out to the K-Tel albums with my overly HUGE headphones on and the volume way up. I try and warn my daughter about the same thing with her ipod but she isn't "hearing" what I am saying and it goes in one ear and out the other...
So..."murmur" is the OSI prompt for the week. Please pop on over there and see how others have interpreted this prompt!

Have a wonderful week...and as always, thank you for the comments- they are so greatly appreciated!

18 comments:

Cynthia said...

LoL- great poem!

Vinay Leo R. said...

hehe!! :D waht a different take..! ;)

Joanne said...

Oh I remember those big headphones, they sounded great too, didn't they? And the concerts back then, wow. The volume was through the roof! Good times, though :)

Laura said...

K-Tel Records!!!!!!! Loved them! I think I might have this hearing thing going on a little bit. I definitely have the vision changes. See you Tuesday!!! I left a return comment on your comment on my blog.

anthonynorth said...

An important in this.

robkistner said...

Enjoyed this considerably, and I relate – great photo thank you for sharing…
…rob
Image & Verse

Loch Rob said...

Nice poem and story to go along. I remember those concerts too.

Maggie said...

I understand completely where you are coming from in this delightful piece.

As time has passed, I have lost the sounds I loved so much in my younger days.

The singing of the birds, the wind in the trees and bubbling brooks but most of all...the sweet sounds from the voices of loved ones.


http://liquidicemusing.blogspot.com/

spiritsoflena said...

I can definitely relate to this. I have a hard time especially when people talk low in their throat.

Stan Ski said...

Selective hearing affects people of all ages.

Tammie Lee said...

wonderful poem.
so true, hard to hear m and m, mumble especially.

Sherri B. said...

When I think of all the loud music I listened to growing up, plus the loud music I still listen to in my ipod, I know I'm asking for trouble before long...I'm sure my hearing is getting worse. I really enjoyed your post!

Rita said...

I thoroughly understand what you are saying. It happens when one gets older. Only thing is... I didn't have the headphones up and it still happens! If it does without them, I can only imagine what it does to those that have the music loud. I've warned my children but...

Janean said...

huh?

okay, just kidding....

zoya gautam said...

.. old & wise judges feel similarly , perhaps ..

great write ..

many thanks ..

Amity said...

i like this one...:)

when can kids be taught that they should listen to us once in a while as we are trying to help them not suffer the same fate we have!

i am like that sometimes, but it is when i am so preoccupied with blogging...lols!

Tumblewords: said...

Perfect! I keep hoping it's just that people are listening to louder sounds and mouthing quieter ones!

gabrielle said...

Distinctions are blurred, sometimes with hilarious results. Where can I get a pair of ear trumpets? Maybe a fashion statement? I’m willing to go out on a limb.