The following anonymous quotation is one of my favorite - ever! I had a plaque of it up in Molly's nursery and currently have it framed and hung as well. It just sums up being a parent so well. Given that Mother's Day was a few days ago, this was on my mind.
Children are like kites...
You spend a lifetime trying to get them off the ground.
You run with them until you're both breathless.
They crash.They hit the rooftop.
You patch and comfort, adjust and teach them.
Finally they are airborne...
They need more string and you keep letting it out.
But with each twist of the ball of twine,
there is a sadness that goes with joy.
The kite becomes more distant,
and you know it won't be long
before that beautiful creature
will snap the lifeline that binds you two together
and will soar
as it is meant to soar,
free and alone.
Only then do you know that you did your job. "
Below is my poem for this week's prompt for reign at OSI
Just a minute ago-
a little girl holding my hand
looking for approval ...
Now I watch
as my daughter's life unfolds -
And I am often reminded
that
she
is not
me
She is so much more confident
and stronger than I was (am?)
My passions
are not her passions
and that's ok
as long as she has passions.
Her way through Life
will be different than mine.
It's so hard
to let her grow (go?)
and watch her
make her own choices
and mistakes
and get hurt
without trying to reign her in
and take care of the problems for her.
She has to become
Herself- whoever that is to be
and learn to trust herself.
And I need to take a Leap of Faith
and know I did the best I could
to raise her
and to make sure she knows
that she is loved
unconditionally
always and forever
as I watch her
unfurl
and shake out her wings
to fly...
to soar, actually
into the Life
that she is meant to have
for Molly, who I am honored to be the Mother of....
13 comments:
What a mother you are, understands so well.. your daughter is a lucky daughter.. Well Patti, this touched my heart..such a wonderful description of a mom's feelings..Wow!
Total cuteness in that child! Lovely words, Patti!
I struggled this Sunday but your beautiful poetry reminded me I did my job. Thank you
What beautiful words! Oh how we hate to let that line out and let them fly on their own, but on the other hand, how wonderful to know that we have raised well adjusted, responsible children into adults!
Your words are quite the commentary on raising our children. I can relate to these through helping my wife raise two boys. The kite strings are indeed broken.
Your words gripped my heart, Patti. I am definitely feeling the twinge of watching the wings unfold in our lives! Thank you for this.
That Molly is sooooo special to you! I know you are a wonderful mom with her firmly rooted in your heart. Even as she flies:
"I watch her
unfurl
and shake out her wings
to fly...
to soar, actually
into the Life
that she is meant to have"
My wish for you both is that she flies high and wide and as she does she will aloway love and remember those roots that you have nourished so well!
..
Thank you for looking me up. I haven't felt poetic lately; if I ever did I am not sure. It is fun doing the writing and composing so I will be back.
..
Lovely tribute to you daughter.
Pamela
That's a very beautiful poem! What a tribute. And great images.
Oh my goodness! What truth you wrote....tears are rolling down my cheeks. You continue to amaze me with your words!
thinking of you Patti...
Blessings to you always...
Peace to you always.....
Love to you always.....
Angelica
Patti
I love the quote and your words too..
The highchair picture is priceless.....
Molly is one lucky girl!
Such a lovely, heartfelt tribute to Molly and to motherhood. There is nothing like mother-love is there?
Post a Comment