nature's finest show
shifting light into darkness
serendipitous
****************************************************
Summer night
balmy, humid
screen doors slap shut
streetlights wink on
from down the street
a cry..."come in when it gets dark!"
porch swings creak
kids gather
fireflies dot the encroaching night
blinking on and off in the dew-filled grass
I got one!".."Lemme see..."
"Ooo- it tickles..."
the tinkling sound of the ice cream truck
the flurry of tennis shoes as the run for the quarters are made
"not it" "not it"
It" counts...
then starts through the thickening shadows looking for us hidden ones
shadows dart in and out of the luminous pools of streetlamp light
as one by one, we are found
and trudge homeward
~and as I reminisce about the twilight of my childhood~
I wonder... couldn't I have stayed hidden;
why did I have to be found?

Summer night
balmy, humid
screen doors slap shut
streetlights wink on
from down the street
a cry..."come in when it gets dark!"
porch swings creak
kids gather
fireflies dot the encroaching night
blinking on and off in the dew-filled grass
I got one!".."Lemme see..."
"Ooo- it tickles..."
the tinkling sound of the ice cream truck
the flurry of tennis shoes as the run for the quarters are made
"not it" "not it"
It" counts...
then starts through the thickening shadows looking for us hidden ones
shadows dart in and out of the luminous pools of streetlamp light
as one by one, we are found
and trudge homeward
~and as I reminisce about the twilight of my childhood~
I wonder... couldn't I have stayed hidden;
why did I have to be found?

11 comments:
such a nice Childs Garden of Verses feel to the hide and seek twilight poem \!/
I enjoyed the texture and flavor and mood of these. Felt young again, through and through!
Hi Patti, I like your "colors of twilight" tinting our world. Second Haiku it shifts into darkness. Hmmm.
You childhood recap covers just a lot of childhood activities at twilight. Most of us will relate to more than half of these, and a lot would have liked to have stayed in that twilight of growth.
..
BTW, I grew up in the country and only had Sis, Mom, and Dad. But our kids have experienced a lot of these.
..
You just described my youth back East!! Just beautiful Patti!!
Denise
(p.s. You didn't miss a thing Monday night! A real snoozer!!! And someone leaked a "spoiler" about the finale and if it's true - I'm never watching another episode of The Bachelor or Bachelorette!!)
(If you want to peek - type in Bachelor spoiler)
Exquisite! How well I remember days like that...Absolutely wonderful!
Amazing poems Patti! That last picture made me gasp in delight. Great entry!
ah twilight -- a magical time of day indeed.
Hey Patti,
I see you changed your background...love the new look!
Love all your pictures especially the last one... Beautiful.
Peace to you my friend and have a great weekend.
Back for some more wonderful blog reading...
Angie
Beautiful photo and a lovely haiku.
Also loved your memory of summer night and playing under the streetlights. Wonderful.
love-bd
Fabulous...in every sense of the word!
Patti you amaze me with your poems everytime! Do you have a book you have started for your poems? My father wrote lovely poems as well and my sister and I thought, after he passed away,it would be a great honor to create a book of poems. We haven't done it yet though. :(
Post a Comment