
I have been putting it off and putting it off but I can't put it off much longer. I have to get into my mom's house and start dismantling it and sifting through her belongings so we can put her house on the market. After she died, we had the excuse of the holidays and not having time. Then it was Jan. and Feb. and my absolute busiest time at school. But now- it's March and I really have run out of excuses. Oh I know why I have been putting this off.; I can figure that one out really easily. By not getting started on it, it's kind of like an avoidance and not facing the reality that my mom is really gone- that both parents are really gone. it's hard.
It makes logical sense that I am the one to shoulder this responsibility. I live the closest (7 minutes with traffic and lights), however, I wish I had the company (comfort?) of my sister to do this with. This really will be an arduous and daunting task; one that I am facing with trepidation. I just can't imagine how her well-lived life and lifetime of memories will be reduced to a bunch of bags and boxes. It just doesn't seem right. I hope I can stay positive and diligent during this process and be able to celebrate her life instead of continue to mourn it.
Any thoughts or advice on this?
7 comments:
Oh Patti,
I'm sorry to hear about your mom. There are no words that I can say to comfort you.
Maybe going through her things will be closure for you and that is hard in itself.
Know that you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
Denise
oh sweetie...
this will be hard and I don't have any advice other than to be good to yourself and when it's too hard, take time away and start again when it feels right.
you will be in my thoughts !
Patti, I am perfectly willing and able to come and help you. I think that I could come out a week from Saturday. I have to time it with my Mom's hospital schedule. But I would be able to come out that day and work with you and you could tell me stories about your Mom. Let me know if you would like the company. Also, I am still planning on going to the Jodi Picoult reading on Sunday, 3/15. I got the book yesterday and it looks EXTREMELY good. I want to start it tonight but my eyes are too tired from work. In case you want to call me (630-719-9296) about scheduling my help feel free or email me!
Patti,
I will be glad to come over and help and keep you company if you would like. I hope that I am sending this on time. I have not been on the net lately, so I wish that you read this before you go.
Seriously if you need me to be there and help I will gladly come over. You have my e-mail and I can send you my phone number. Pls let me know.
Angelica
This is very difficult and you should not feel pressed to hurry. This is part of the journey through grief.
Good luck Patti. It's so hard after something like that. It was so hard for me to go through my father's things with my mother. It also brings back sweet memories. :)
Now isn't that just like Laura and Angelica? Take them up on it, my friend. That's my advice. With friends beside you, you can talk about your mom and share the happy stories.
I think it is always inherently sad when things last longer than their owner. But, aren't you glad they do? You will have pieces of your mom to carry into your own home, your own daily life. I know her heart lives in your daily life already, but the things can be precious, too.
I have a creamware bowl on my nightstand. It doesn't match my bedroom, but it was my Mamaw's. I think of her when I see it, and I laugh. Because she would want me to. Because she was funny. Because she loved a joke.
I will be thinking of you, praying for you, and hoping you will find a creamware bowl of your own.
Post a Comment