Spring Break...2 little words but together equals a nice respite from real life. This week has been very much needed! I am home alone during the day- Molly's school is not on break until after Easter, so I have no one to answer to but myself. My "To Do List" is long but stuff is getting re-prioritized and/or crossed off. And yes- I have been know to add things to the list that I already did JUST to be able to cross it off. Anyone else do that too?
This week's OSI prompt is EQUALS- so here is my poetic interpretation... Check out the other poets' work at OSI
She breezes from her house to her sporty little red convertible,
designer heels click-clacking,
a cloud of perfume left in her wake.
She hops in, adjusts her mirror and her sunglasses,
patting her perfectly golden coiffed hair into place,
music on as she backs down her long, winding driveway,
apprehensive about what the morning will hold...
She dons last-year's too small thrift shop jacket
mindful of the stains and missing buttons,
as she digs into her tattered purse for some change for the bus.
As she trudges towards the bus stops
through the graffiti scarred and garbage strewn neighborhood,
she stops and runs her fingers through her dirty blond hair
capturing it in a ponytail,
apprehensive about what the morning will hold...
Both sit next to each other lost in their own thoughts
but equals in thinking about the same things,
equals in being nervous about their morning's plans,
as their names are called simultaneously
to discuss their cancer treatment options.
17 comments:
There are some things where equality can not be escaped.
You did so very well on this prompt ... on the other hand, diagnosis is the only equality in this scene. Who can afford to pay for the best treatment will wash equality away, until death balance it out again.
Still, it behooves me to remember, equality in and of itself is as much a metaphor as it is reality, and believe me, there are something I would never desire to be equal to or with.
Ha! This was very thought provoking, to say the least.
Hi Patti, golly (OMGolly), what thoughts you have inspired today. Until the last verse I was thinking they would end up in school, sitting beside each other.
Makes me want to help.
..
You have also nudged me into considering a poem about my daughter in what turned out to be scary, hilarious afterwards, but still scary situation that she ...
..
A subtle but meaningful one..However different the roads may be, sometimes luck runs out equally for everyone.
5 stars....
And all Gold, my friend!
..dollar,yen,faith,color,class ,category,blood group etc_but one living equality_pain_
many thanks for sharing this..
Well thought out and well delivered. You packed a big message in this.
Apprehension is the great leveler, to be sure. Who will survive the cancer (that other leveler) depends on so many things. Powerful. Thanks.
This gave a surprising twist. I really liked it, wow-
One thing not having medical taught me..was to trust. Measuring our lives by what someone else has, can often be skewed.
A shocking ending -- that really got to me.
Thanks for stirring the thinking pot.
xo
Dear Patti--
This is so beautifully illustrative...thank you. You 'got' it...
Powerful.......... You are amazing!!!
cancer -- the great equalizer.
So well done, Patti, conditions are not always equal, but people are.
I was really engrossed in both of these, and then you really caught me up with the ending! Well done!
Excellent - this is a powerful piece, profound and provocative. Well written!
Wow, Patti. You are so gifted! I love them all. The last one really touched me.
Patti,
YOU ARE SO GOOD!!!!!!
What a great gift you have......
I am totally jealous... wish I could write like that....
maybe when I grow up.
Peace to you my friend!
Post a Comment