Monday, March 30, 2009

Here are 3 haiku for this week's prompt (smoke) over at One Single Impression. For other poems please check out their site!





curled smoke from chimneys
spirals high into the sky
stair steps to heaven

********************************



wispy nothingness
ancient communication
depended on it

*************************************



abandoned childhood
gone like a wisp of smoke
lured by teenage years







11 comments:

Amias (ljm and liquidplastic) said...

Patti I enjoyed them all ... and it was hard to choose between the second and third as a favorite ..

But this one won hands down! Even today the Indians still use smoke signals in some of their ceremonies.

"wispy nothingness
ancient communication
depended on it"

Jukota said...

Hi Patti,

I, too, liked them all, but 'ancient communication' really grabbed me. Great choice of words!

Deborah Godin said...

Times does seem to move and disappear, like smoke - nicely done!

SandyCarlson said...

I enjoyed these. The idea of children abandoning their own childhoods intrigues me. I teach remedial readers in an urban middle school, and I see this happen every day.

Communication and smoke--sometimes the haze I am in keeps me from communicating. I will have to learn to turn this around.

Michelle said...

I love all of them. I think the first is my favorite. :)

Jeeves said...

Wispy nothingness. Wow. Just touched me. Ancient communication indeed. Enjoyed all three.

Kilauea Poetry said...

Love the last lines-
"abandoned childhood
gone like a wisp of smoke
lured by teenage years" This was nice-

zoya gautam said...

"abandoned childhood
gone like a wisp of smoke
lured by teenage years"

lovely

Jim said...

Patti, these are nice. Your first was harmless, and the second brings the Indians to mind. Have you ever been to a Pow Wow? Mrs. Jim and I have, it was a fun thing to do. My Mom worried about us all the time.
Your third poem is hard but very true for so many. I was a protected shy farm boy. And still shy when I went off to college.
Playing chess lured me, so much that I didn't study and had to leave college.
..

Raven said...

I liked all three of these, but especially the second one - smoke as communication. I had forgotten about that.

JUST ME said...

hello my friend,

Have a wonderful weekend!

angelica