Sunday, January 3, 2010

All Kinds of Wings

Yesterday, Mike and I went out for the afternoon, braving the below zero temps and wind chills to go take some pictures (he did most of the outdoors ones, as I preferred to hang in the car). We visited a nearby town that I never seem to see in the daytime hours (Lemont) and then headed a little northeast into the forest preserve areas. At Maple Lake, we found a clearing where someone had sprinkled birdseed. It was quite fun to watch and Mike and I both were outside snapping pictures for about 10 minutes and enjoying the show before we realized we were frozen! But what we saw was amazing- birds of all kinds flying in from all over to get in on the birdseed! We even noticed 2 coyotes about 100 yards away pacing back and forth. Nature at her best!

the shadows lengthen
a surprise afternoon treat
there's plenty for all










and now from the coyote's point of view:

Table for 2, please
All you can eat wings buffet
And pack some "to go"


In our picture taking escapade, we also checked out the most beautiful Hindu temple and a very old, supposedly haunted church and graveyard as well.





So in keeping with the "wings" prompt at OSI, here's my last haiku...

starting the new year
on a wing and a prayer
life's uncertain times...



Please visit OSI and see how everyone else interpreted the prompt "wings" (I apologize for not visiting as much- hopefully I will get around more this week)

I hope you all had a wonderful Holiday and I hope that 2010 is all you want it to be!!!

20 comments:

Laura said...

I have always wanted to see the Hindu temple up close. The church looks beautiful. Was there a stop at Inspired Needle while in Lemont? or are you being good and waiting until Tuesday? Love the pictures! My Mike and I need to do something like this too....an idea for next weekend!

Jon Lee said...

I love those pictures. I keep thinking I will go out and take pictures, but I always say it's too cold. Maybe now I will. Now I'm inspired.

Anonymous said...

I wish the same for you my friend!

Amity said...

Braving the cold just to be able to take some beautiful pics of creatures that have wings...:)

Nice pics and all!

Quiet Paths said...

The warmest wishes (which winter can provide if you are close to the fire) to you and your family. What a great post.

Tumblewords: said...

Beautiful photos as always. Love the skulking coyote, too! Sounds like you had a delightful day - the haiku are so perfect for this time.

Sherri B. said...

What beautiful photos! And the music playing is wonderful, too...thanks for sharing your day in pictures. It looks like it was a good one!

Ragamuffin Gal said...

Hi Hun!
I gotta say that I love the red cardinal on the snow ~ what a great photo shot! Sounds like you had a good snow adventure! I have not received a card yet ~ I'll keep looking for it!
Stay amazing my wonderful friend!

Relyn Lawson said...

I've been so busy doing nothing much that I haven't been around to visit my friends in too long. So, though my wishes are late, I mean them with my whole heart. May your year be filled with laughter. May all your surprises be happy ones. May you remember to count your blessings. May you know each day how very much you are loved. Happy new year, my friend.

Michelle said...

Oh wow, such wonderful pictures! Love the birds....and the coyote of course. Hope you had a wonderful holiday season, Patti!! BELOW FREEZING? Ohmigosh. :)

xoxo

Michelle :)

Polka Dot Moon said...

Patti,
Your pictures are always so beautiful and you find the most amazing places too! We love to explore new places as well. So much to see out there in the world.
Enjoy your week and I'll send a bit of sunshine and warmer temps your way :)
Denise

p.s. I got sucked into the Bachelor last night! Wonder how much ABC has a say in who stays or goes? I know they need the drama to keep us coming back for more! Some scary gals this time round!!!

Jeeves said...

Lovely photos.

SandyCarlson said...

A wing and a prayer seem so delicate in the face of uncertainty. Yet they prevail. Thanks for this beautiful poem.

Jim said...

Pattie, this was nice poetical reporting of a good deed done for those birds.
My favorite picture was the one of the coyotes. They either are timid or half frozen too.
..
BTW Patti, I hope my reputation with Patti isn't ruined by my devil angel poem. I didn't know I was showing a different side?
..

Keke said...

Patti,

Beautiful post...I'm right there with you on the wing and the prayer...God willing 2010 out with the old and in with new blessings and abundance! Love the snow scenes, of course I can always count on you for my winter wonderland fix! LOL I hope you are well! XO Keke

Sandra.if said...

Beautiful Patti.......very well made!!

Ragamuffin Gal said...

Hello Sweet Friend,
I received your present and card today and I LOVE IT!!! I couldn't believe it as I opened it up! I am very touched and the card and ornament gave me such JOY!!!! Thank you so very much!!!

Can't wait for your next post ~ did you get a lot of snow where you live? Blessings!

Anonymous said...

.. repeating ' Relyn's Wishes ' for U ..

great post

big thanks ..

zoya gautam said...

the above cmnt was made by zoya gautam

( has no reason to be anonymous)

gabrielle said...

Loved the photos chronicling your winter adventure. Finding the hidden treasures in the season.
The first haiku was especially moving. May we awaken to the blessings in our lives; may it inspire a generosity of spirit and a manifestation of abundance. Happy new year!